Terms of Reference
Job Title: Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling Programme Advisor
(Mid- Level International Expert)
Total Position(s): 1
Job Type: SSA
Job Location: Home-based, occasional travel to Islamabad
Minimum Education: University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent)
Degree Title: Social or Political Science, International Relations, Law or other relevant degree
Minimum Experience: 10 years
Career Level: Mid-Level
Work Permit: Pakistan (if needed to be arranged by organizational unit)
Organizational Unit: UNODC
Duration: 20 days between April and August 2011
Apply By: March 31, 2011
Posted On: March 17, 2011
The UNODC Country Office for Pakistan (COPAK) is tasked with assisting Pakistan through its recently developed Country Programme (CP) with a focus on needs related to illicit trafficking and border management, criminal justice and drug demand reduction and HIV. Within Sub-programme 1 of the CP, UNODC Pakistan is charged with developing the capacity of the Government of Pakistan (GOP) to identify and act upon cases of migrant smuggling and human trafficking. In order to properly fulfil this role, COPAK requires the services of an international consultant with experience in the area of human trafficking and migrant smuggling and related issues.
The objective of the consultancy is to support the implementation of Outcome 2 “Human trafficking and migrant smuggling operations identified and acted upon” of COPAK’s CP. Specifically, the international consultant will assist COPAK in assessing the capacity of the GOP to interdict and act upon cases involving human trafficking and migrant smuggling. Based upon this assessment, the consultant will provide recommendations on how to develop the capacity of relevant GOP ministries and agencies in line with international best practice.
Under the strategic guidance and supervision of the Law Enforcement Advisor (Representative until Advisor is posted) and with the technical support from staff, the consultant will be responsible for assessing the GOP’s capacity to identify and act upon human trafficking and migrant smuggling operations.
The Advisor will undertake the following substantive duties and responsibilities:
1. Review and evaluate the GOP’s training and operational capacity in the area of human trafficking and migrant smuggling.
2. Consultations with relevant officials of the GOP.
3. Recommend measures aimed at bringing Pakistan’s training and operational capacity in this area in line with international best practice.
- Draft assessment report framework (table of contents).
- Assessment report outlining the GOP’s current training and operational capacity to identify and act upon cases involving human trafficking and migrant smuggling, including recommendations aimed at strengthening its capacity. (final draft following comments from COPAK on the first draft).
- PowerPoint to accompany assessment report.
Qualification and Experience
· An international professional, holding a university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Social or Political Science, International Relations, Law or other relevant degree, plus approximately 10 years of relevant experience. Working experience in a developing country is an asset.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
· Ability to work under pressure and to meet tight deadlines.
Completion of the related report will require scheduled missions to Islamabad, document review, and interaction (as appropriate) with relevant points of contacts from concerned ministries and agencies and international partners. Relevant supporting documents will be made available to UNODC Pakistan as required. In addition, the Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling Programme Advisor will liaise closely with UNODC. The structure of the reports and legislative drafts to be completed by the Advisor will be agreed with UNODC Pakistan prior to starting .
Planning and Implementation Arrangements
The Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling Programme Advisor will be home-based, with occasional travel to Islamabad, and work closely with the Country Representative and UNODC Pakistan colleagues. The Country Representative will support and guide the work of the Advisor.
The Advisor will have documents approved by the Representative prior to release.
Payment Schedule and Rate
The Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling Programme Advisor (Mid-Level International Expert)will be issued a consultancy contract in accordance with United Nations rules and procedures. Payment scale will be determined by UNDP recommended rates. Travel costs including transportation and DSA for domestic and international travel will be paid by UNODC in accordance with United Nations rules and procedures.
Documents Required for Application Submission
Interested candidates are requested to submit a technical and financial proposal with the application.
The technical proposal should include the following details:
1. Cover letter explaining interest for the position.
2. Detailed P-11 form.
3. Proposed methodology and workplan for the deliverables stated in the Terms of Reference.
The financial proposal should indicate the lump sum amount/fee for the entire set of consultancy services.