Terms of Reference
Job Title: Programme Management Advisor (Middle-Level International Expert)
Total Position(s): 1
Job Type: SSA
Job Location: Islamabad
Minimum Education: Masters Degree (Bachelors Degree with additional experience acceptable)
Degree Title: Social or Political Science, Economics, or Public Administration
Minimum Experience: 8 years
Career Level: Middle-Level
Work Permit: Pakistan (if needed to be arranged by organizational unit)
Organizational Unit: UNODC
Duration: 3 months starting February 2011
Apply By: January 30, 2011
Posted On: January 17, 2011
The UNODC Country Office for Pakistan (COPAK) is tasked with assisting Pakistan through its recently developed Country Programme with a focus on needs related to illicit trafficking and border management, criminal justice and drug demand reduction and HIV. In order to react in a strategic manner, UNODC Pakistan requires the services of an international consultant with experience with programme design, implementation and evaluation. This process will involve multiple areas including programme management, procurement processes, human resources and monitoring and evaluation. In addition, the internal systems of UNODC must be improved and streamlined so that they are fully utilized by the members of the office.
The objective of the consultancy is to support the implementation of COPAK’s Country Programme. Specifically, the Programme Management Advisor will develop an implementation plan and a monitoring and evaluation framework to guide and steer the Country Programme for the operations team. Strategies will include, but not be limited to, procurement, human resources, communications, and research work-plans.
Under the strategic guidance and supervision of the Representative and with the technical support from staff, the consultant will be responsible for creating and implementing a change management programme for COPAK.
The Programme Management Advisor will undertake the following substantive duties and responsibilities:
1. Develop a 2011 implementation plan (comprehensive work plan templates etc.) for the operations and core team as well as where necessary, the implementation of the three sub-programmes.
2. Develop a human resources plan with structures and functions clearly identified, gaps and needs in human resources highlighted, and strategies to address devised.
3. Develop a COPAK communications and research plan with outputs and strategies mapped out.
4. Develop and deliver training to COPAK staff on the newly established implementation framework and operational tools (including human resources, procurement, communications plans).
5. Develop a monitoring and evaluation framework for the different components.
6. Map out the implementation strategies against Project Activity Tracker.
7. Assist in advising the implementation of the UNODC Country Programme 2010-14 as necessary.
8. Coordinate with the Integrated Programming Branch in Vienna HQ.
- Operations team implementation tools:
- Human resources plan
- Communications plan
- Research plan
- Updated/edited Administrative Procedures Manual
- Training package (ppt & printed support materials)
- Prepare draft advisory notes to guide the Representative and COPAK colleagues to ensure effective implementation, monitoring and evaluation. Notes need to be concise and clearly structured.
- Regular (bi-weekly) status updates for the Representative UNODC
Qualification and Experience
· An international professional, holding a Master’s degree in Social or Political Science, Economics, or Public Administration, plus approximately 8 years of relevant programme and change management experience including in developing countries (ideally in Asia) in areas related to crime and drug control.
· Direct experience related to the work of UNODC is required.
· Ability analyse needs and devise strategies and recommendations on appropriate responses for colleagues and management.
· Ability to produce concise and reports and presentations.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
· Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
The Programme Management Advisor will be based in Islamabad with the COPAK team, liaise closely with UNODC headquarters on programme implementation and will interact with concerned ministries and agencies and international partners as necessary.
Planning and Implementation Arrangements
The Programme Management Advisor will be based in COPAK and work closely with the Country Representative and COPAK colleagues . The Country Representative will support and guide the work of the Programme Management Advisor.
The Programme Management Advisor will have documents approved by the Representative prior to release.
Payment Schedule and Rate
The Programme Management Advisor (Middle-Level International Expert)will be issued a consultancy contract and paid on a monthly basis in accordance with United Nations rules and procedures. Payment scale will be determined by UNDP recommended rates for expert consultants at the ‘B’ level. Travel costs including transportation and DSA for domestic and international travel will be paid by UNODC in accordance with United Nations rules and proced