Job Title: Country Programme Research and Planning Consultant (Junior-Level International Expert)
Total Position(s): 1
Job Type: SSA
Job Location: Islamabad
Minimum Education: Master’s Degree (Bachelor’s Degree with additional experience acceptable)
Degree Title: Social or Political Science, Economics, or Public Administration
Minimum Experience: None
Career Level: Junior-Level
Work Permit: Pakistan (if needed to be arranged by organizational unit)
Organizational Unit: UNODC
Duration: 11 months starting January 2011
Apply By: 15 December 2010
Posted On: 02 December 2010
The UNODC Country Office for Pakistan (COPAK) is tasked with assisting Pakistan through its recently developed Country Programme with a focus on needs related to illicit trafficking and border management, criminal justice and drug demand reduction and HIV. In order to react in a strategic manner, UNODC Pakistan requires the services of a junior international consultant to research areas of UNODC mandates in Pakistan as well to work on programme implementation, planning and monitoring and evaluation.
The objective of the consultancy is to support the start-up development and implementation of Sub-Programme 1 and 2 of COPAK’s Country Programme. Specifically, the consultant will complete background research and draft documents related to the Country Programme and will assist in developing an implementation plan for the two sub-programmes, monitoring and evaluation frameworks for the various outcomes, and complete reports. The management of COPAK will be advised on identified needs and issues that UNODC should address in Pakistan.
The incumbent will work closely with the Country Representative and COPAK colleagues.
The Research and Planning Consultantwill undertake the following substantive duties and responsibilities:
1. Conduct background research on the development of the two sub-programmes on illicit trafficking and border management and criminal justice.
2. Advise the Representative and COPAK colleagues on the needs of Pakistan related to illicit trafficking and border management, and criminal justice.
3. Develop and execute an implementation plan (comprehensive work plan templates etc.) for the different sub-programme components.
4. Advise the different sub-programmes colleagues on component outputs and activities.
5. Initiate activities in certain Outcomes of Sub-Programme 2, “Prison management improved in line with international standards”.
6. Develop a monitoring and evaluation framework for the different components.
7. Coordinate with the Integrated Programming Branch at UNODC Headquarters.
- Research reports on the needs of Pakistan related to (i) illicit trafficking and border management; (ii) criminal justice.
- Prepare draft advisory notes to guide the Representative and COPAK colleagues to ensure effective implementation, monitoring and evaluation. Notes need to be concise and clearly structured.
- Templates for programme work plans and monitoring and evaluation guidelines.
- Completed work plans for sub-programme components.
- Implementation of activities under Sub-Programmes 1 and 2 underway.
- Presentations and communications materials for donors for programme tracking.
Qualification and Experience
· A junior international professional, holding a Master’s degree in Social or Political Science, Economics, or Public Administration, ideally with relevant research experience, including in developing countries in areas related to crime and drug control.
· Capacity to review documents and conduct interviews as part of background research.
· Ability to analyse needs and formulate draft recommendations on appropriate responses for colleagues and management.
· Ability to produce concise reports and presentations.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
· Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
Completion of the research and generating deliverables will require the Research and Planning Consultantto be based in Islamabad with the COPAK team. The consultantwill undertake research via document review, and interaction with concerned ministries and agencies and international partners.
Planning and Implementation Arrangements
The Country Programme Research and Planning Consultantwill be based in COPAK and work closely with the Country Representative and COPAK colleagues. The Country Representative will support and guide the work of the Consultant.
The Research and Planning Consultantwill have documents approved by the Representative prior to release.
Payment Schedule and Rate
The Research and Planning Consultant(Junior-Level International Expert)will be issued a consultancy contract and paid on a monthly basis in accordance with United Nations rules and procedures. Payment scale will be determined by UNDP recommended rates for consultants. Travel costs including transportation and DSA for domestic and international travel will be paid by UNODC in accordance with United Nations rules and procedures.