Pakistan suffer’s from a plethora of natural and human induced hazards that threaten to affect the lives and livelihood of its citizens; e.g. floods, earthquakes, landslides, cyclones and drought, fires, civil unrest and terrorism and transport and industrial accidents. The Climate Change and related disaster risks have added an additional dimension to the task of development planners. The nation’s ability to increase its capacity to withstand natural and human induced disasters lies in the adoption of new strategies. Adopting a proactive approach would include disaster risk reduction with regards to particular hazards. Such an approach would be focused at benefiting the most vulnerable segments of population and it would raise the impact of national development strategy on poverty alleviation.
Under the overall umbrella of One UN Disaster Risk Management Program and in partnership with other UN agencies, the UNDP is supporting the Government of Pakistan in establishing policy, legal and institutional arrangements for disaster risk management. The purpose of UNDP support is to develop and strengthen capacities of the Government of Pakistan at national, provincial and local levels to adopt strategies for reducing threat of disasters and minimizing the impact of disaster events upon communities.
UNDP’s is closely working with the national and provincial disaster management authorities. Scope of work with the GOP includes identification of priorities, provision of technical assistance to authorities, advocacy, mobilization of donor support and support from other agencies; e.g. the UN, Media, and civil society for the governmental initiatives. The Provincial Disaster Risk Management Coordinator will work in close supervision of the National project manager for the development of provincial plans.
The Provincial Disaster Risk Management Coordinator will report to the Planning and Institutional Development Coordinator under the National Project Manager of One UN DRM Joint Programme.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Operationalization of PDMAs
· Assist PDMA in acquiring of office, staff and equipment.
· Provide support to PDMA for acquiring and management of funds
· Provide support to PDMA in development and approval of PC-1 in collaboration with relevant stakeholders for mitigation and preparedness activities
· Provide support to PDMA for developing their annual work plans for capacity building activities
· Provide support to PDMA in rolling out policy decisions with NDMA, provincial authorities and district authorities.
· Facilitate the development of a website & organogram of PDMA
Strengthening of PDMA’s
· Coordinate implementation of capacity building activities with provincial departments and district governments.
· Coordinate with the provincial Planning and Development Department in implementing sectoral guidelines for incorporating DRM into development planning
· Coordinate with various departments, NGOs/INGOs and other stakeholders on behalf of PDMAs.
· Facilitate in organizing drills and awareness raising activities.
· Coordinate provincial level contingency planning
· Develop and maintain a monitoring system to check progress of provincial departments in disaster risk reduction and ensure the achievement of outputs.
· Submit project reports to UNDP as per the schedule
· Good knowledge of disaster risk issues of the respective province/region.
· Application of theoretical knowledge in management of multi-disciplinary programs involving government, civil society and communities at risk.
· Ability to plan and work independently.
· Excellent knowledge of multi-disciplinary development approaches.
· Ability to negotiate with counterpart government officials and with other technical agencies.
· Good physical health and ability to travel to local areas with basic travel facilities.
· Positive attitude with a mind set of delivering development services in a most professional manner.
· Proven analytical and writing skills.
· Excellent listening skills.
· Excellent people management and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to work under stress situations and manage multiple tasks.
· Proficiency in both English and Urdu is essential. Ability to speak and understand the local languages would be an added advantage.