In order to achieve sustainable national development and Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) by 2015, scaling up of development assistance, and steps to increase its quality, transparency and accountability are essential. As per the Paris Declaration 2005, the issues of ownership, alignment, harmonisation, managing for results and mutual accountability are becoming increasingly important to Governments, development partners and CSOs alike.
In recognition of its responsibility for ensuring development effectiveness and in confirmation of its commitments made under the Paris Declaration principles, specifically ‘National Ownership’, the Government of Pakistan (GoP) is required to provide a guiding framework for managing development co-operation between itself and its Development Partners (DPs) through the “Foreign Assistance Policy Framework”. To facilitate the process, an Aid Policy Advisor is required who shall support EAD to advance the Government of Pakistan’s aid effectiveness agenda in spirit of the commitments manifested in the Paris Declaration, and shall assist GoP in formulating its first Foreign Assistance Policy Framework. The incumbent will also support the leadership and vision of the Economic Affairs Division, Government of Pakistan in implementing its mandate of aid management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Aid Policy Advisor will have the overall responsibility of supporting GoP in: (i) facilitating the development of Pakistan’s Foreign Assistance Policy Framework, including the Aid Effectiveness Commitments and Joint Action Plan for its implementation as per road map; (ii) providing advice and support to EAD in articulating the Pakistan Development Cooperation Report 2009/10; and (iii) drafting a programme document for a Capacity Development for Aid Effectiveness Programme for EAD in taking forward implementation of the Joint Action Plan on Aid Effectiveness.
The advisor will perform duties working on a day-to-day basis with the Director Aid Effectiveness and reporting to the Joint Secretary UN/China Wing. Second line of reporting will be to National Project Manager NATCAP-II.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Facilitate the development of the Foreign Assistance Policy Framework
· Review the draft Foreign Assistance Policy Framework (including Aid Effectiveness Commitments and the Joint Action Plan) as prepared through consultations in July 2010
· Review of GoP’s existing policy statements, as well as Steering Committee on Aid Effectiveness Technical Working Group reports to further articulate the GoP’s policy priorities for aid effectiveness
· Using a revised draft Foreign Assistance Policy Framework (particularly the Aid Effectiveness Commitments) facilitate a high level consultation (including the Minister of Finance and Minister of State for Finance and Economic Affairs) to reach agreement on the Aid Effectiveness Commitments and Joint Action Plan before broader circulation and definition
· Further define both elements of the Foreign Assistance Policy Framework through technical consultations in EAD to include in depth consultations with DAD staff to establish a baseline and subsequent consultation with the Joint Secretaries, the Additional Secretaries and Secretary for agreement
· Hold further consultations nationally, and at sector and provincial levels through existing dialogue mechanisms where they exist (such as through the Donor Heads of Agency meetings held every two months; Quarterly Review meetings and further refine the Foreign Assistance Policy Framework based on their feedback. In particular these more detailed consultations should include the discussion and provisional agreement of agency specific targets as per a format similar to that attached to the current draft Foreign Assistance Policy Framework.
· Propose a final draft Foreign Assistance Policy Framework and ensure it is broadly agreed by all EAD Secretaries and staff through an internal workshop and subsequently agreed by the Ministers
The Aid Policy Advisor will also assist EAD in:
· Preparation/conversion of the document in appropriate language/text for its submission to the Ministry of Law & Justice and then to the Cabinet Division for its final approval.
2. Provide advice and support to EAD in articulating the Pakistan Development Cooperation Report 2009/10;
· Review the recommendations regarding the PDCR 2008/9 as provided by the UNDP Governance and Aid Effectiveness advisor (July 2010)
· Working with the Director Aid Effectiveness and NATCAP II Project manager provide support to the DAD team in structuring the contents of the PDCR to be aligned with the structure of the Aid Effectiveness Commitments and Joint Action Plan
· Review the drafts of the report and provide advice to ensure that the report focuses on key policy messages and provides analysis that strengthens the Aid Effectiveness Commitments and Joint Action Plan – particularly ensuring that the analysis and data provides a robust picture concerning the baseline for the Joint Action Plan
3. Draft a programme document for a Capacity Development for Aid Effectiveness Programme for EAD in taking forward implementation of the Joint Action Plan on Aid Effectiveness.
· Working with the Director Aid Effectiveness review the capacity development recommendations provided by the UNDP Governance and Aid Effectiveness advisor (July 2010)
· Working with the Director Aid Effectiveness and relevant UNDP colleagues consult with interested donors (DFID, CIDA, USAID…) to develop a 3 year multi-donor supported programme with EAD focusing on:
o Strengthening EAD policy capacity to (i) negotiate aid policy within government agencies and with development partners; (ii) review progress and articulate recommendations for strengthening progress in implementation
o Strengthening EAD to provide services to other government agencies and development partners in ways that can strengthen aid effectiveness. For examples sourcing, contracting and working with technical assistance to help sector ministries develop programme based approaches; working with provinces to establish provincial level data bases that feed into DAD; providing secretariat functions to government-donor task forces that might be established on specific issues such as budget support or common results frameworks
o Integrating DAD data and analysis within the day to day services provided by EAD policy wings and enhancing their performance vis-à-vis development partners
a. Can synthesize technical ideas and documents and analyze information,
b. Excellent report writing skills,
c. Self-motivated and able to recommend options for resolutions of issues in dealing with different bi-lateral and multi-lateral agencies,
d. Can interact effectively with senior policy makers including Secretaries of Government Ministries, heads of Development Partners; in public events such as meetings, presentations and seminars,
e. Have good knowledge about the roles and mandate of Government of Pakistan’s line ministries and specifically EAD as well as Development Partners,
f. Provide an enabling environment during the consultative process; in-line with national ownership and transparency, where both GoP and Development Partners can flourish.
Advanced University Degree in Development Economics, Public administration, Development Studies or other development related field; PhD in related field will be preferred.
Experience and skills
a. At least 7 years experience of providing development/aid policy advisory service in IFIs at national/regional levels;
b. Good understanding of the global agenda on aid effectiveness, harmonization and simplification issues and proven work in the area of Foreign Assistance;
c. Good working knowledge of best practices in the area of Foreign Assistance;
d. Prior experience of development or government sector in Pakistan is an added advantage;
e. Proven skills to work in a team, specific experience of mentoring colleagues, and ability to communicate in a multi-cultural environment.
DURATION: 6 Months
DUTY STATION: Islamabad, Pakistan
REPORTING TO: Director Aid Effectiveness, Joint Secretary (UN) and National Project Manager NATCAP-II
ORGANIZATIONAL UNIT: Economic Affairs Division, Government of Pakistan
FUNDED THROUGH: UNDP (NATCAP-II)