The One UN Joint programme component 1 on Disaster Risk Management (DRM) is assisting the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) by strengthening the foundations of a disaster risk management systemin Pakistan through its four significant outcomes.
National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has designated 16 most affected districts during recent floods of 2010 for providing support to District Disaster Management Authorities (DDMAs) under the One UN DRM Programme. The selected districts include Charsadda/Peshawar, D.I. Khan, Mianwali, Muzaffargarh, D G Khan, Jacobabad, Sukkur, Shahdadkot, Hyderabad, Sibi, Nasirabad, Jafarabad, Hunza, Sakardu, Muzaffarabad and Neelum. The selected districts will be facilitated in strengthening the existing system in utilizing the available resources. The selected districts will be assisted in areas of early recovery, reconstruction and rehabilitation through a gender sensitive approach. NDMA intends to support communities in order to enhance their coping strategies towards disasters. The focus remains on communities at local level and in particular women children and elderly at village level to alleviate their suffering arising from various types of disasters. Community Based Disaster Management will be integrated in participatory development process.
District Disaster Risk Management Coordinators will be based in the District Headquarters and report to the Community and Local Level Programming Expert at NDMA. At district level, they will work closely with the Government’s Focal Point for District Disaster Management Authority.
3. Duties and Responsibilities
· Work closely with the DCO office to make the DDMA functional, and facilitate coordination with various departments and stakeholders.
· Support the DCO office in developing gender sensitized annual work plan and budget for the DDMA.
· Provide support to the DCO office for development and preparation of PC-1 for budget allocations to DDMA. Ensure that PC-1s in preparation are sensitized with DRM components and gender considerations.
· Strengthen capacity for gender mainstreaming in district level planning and programming;
· Provide technical support and advice, following discussions of issues with the provincial Gender Advisors, on gender issues to sector coordinators at district level in their work and assist as required to incorporate gender dimensions;
· Establish district DRM and gender coordination forum involving various departments, I/NGOs and other stakeholders.
· Facilitate the establishment of DDMAs office along with the appointment of some designated staff.
· Manage the district level trainings for government authorities and communities’ men and women on DRM.
· Promote gender mainstreaming and guide implementation of, and support monitoring and reporting by sector on indicators and targets as stated in Work Plans.
· Facilitate in carrying out rapid needs and early recovery assessments; organize drills, awareness raising and other planned activities under the One UN DRM programme.
· Liaison with respective PDMA or other district/provincial/ federal departments as per requirement.
· Submit project reports to NDMA/UNDP as per the schedule and ensure that progress and achievements are highlighted against the outcomes and outputs of the approved project document.
· Ability to plan and work independently with minimum supervision.
· Ability to negotiate with counterpart government officials and with other technical agencies;
· Good physical health and ability to live in and travel to local areas with basic travel facilities;
· Positive attitude with a mind set of delivering development services in a most professional manner;
· Excellent skills in technical writing;
· Excellent listening skills;
· Excellent interpersonal skills;
· Experience of directly working with communities preferred.
· Ability to work under stress situations and manage multiple tasks;
Fluency in Urdu and English is essential. Ability to communicate in respective local language is desirable and local languages of the districts of interest.
This position is open to applicants of either sex. Preference will be given to equally qualified women candidates. Only short listed candidates would be contacted.
City/Location/Duty Station: Charsadda/Peshawar, D.I. Khan, Mianwali, Muzaffargarh, D G Khan, Jacobabad, Sukkur, Shahdadkot, Hyderabad, Sibi, Nasirabad, Jafarabad, Hunza, Sakardu, Muzaffarabad and Neelum