The One UN Joint programme component 1 on Disaster Risk Management (DRM) is assisting the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) by strengthening the foundations of a disaster risk management system in Pakistan through its four significant outcomes.
National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) with the collaboration of provincial governments has identified 50 priortized districts where DDR/M activities may be initiated. Out of these districts, twelve have been for establishment of model District Disaster Management Authorities (DDMAs) under the One UN DRM Programme. The selected districts include Gilgit, Gwadar, Jhang, Rajanpur, Bhakkar Sialkot, Haripur, Nowshera, Dadu, Badin, and Thatta. The selected districts will be facilitated in strengthening the existing system in utilizing the available resources. The selected districts will be assisted in areas of hazard mapping, establishing viable early warning systems and community involvement for effective disaster risk management. NDMA intends to support communities in order to enhance their coping strategies towards disasters. The focus remains on communities at local level and in particular women children and elderly at village level to alleviate their suffering arising from various types of disasters. Community Based Disaster Management will be integrated in participatory development process.
District Disaster Risk Management Coordinators will be based in the District Headquarters and report to the Community and Local Level Programming Expert. At district level, he/she will work closely with the Government’s Focal Point for District Disaster Management Authority.
3. Duties and Responsibilities
• Work closely with the DCO office to make the DDMA functional, and facilitate coordination with various departments and stakeholders.
• Support the DCO office in developing an annual work plan and budget for the DDMA.
• Provide support to the DCO office for development and preparation of PC-1 for budget allocations to DDMA.
• Ensure that PC-1s in preparation/approval are sensitized with DRM components.
• Facilitate the establishment of DDMAs office along with the appointment of some designated staff.
• Establish district DRM coordination forum involving various departments, I/NGOs and other stakeholders.
• Carryout the district level trainings for government authorities and communities on DRM.
• Conduct HVCA exercises focusing floods/cyclones/other coastal hazards using different research techniques.
• Provide technical input in developing disaster resilient Model Union Council as per UC plan against the flood & cyclone hazard including Community Based Flood & Cyclone Early Warning System.
• Carryout drills, awareness raising and other planned activities under the One UN DRM programme.
• Liaison with respective PDMA or other district/provincial/ federal departments as per requirement.
• Submit project reports to NDMA/UNDP as per the schedule and ensure that progress and achievements are highlighted against the outcomes and outputs of the approved project document.
• Any other task assigned by the NDMA with respect to DRR/M in the district.
• Ability to plan and work independently with minimum supervision.
• Ability to negotiate with counterpart government officials and with other technical agencies;
• Good physical health and ability to live in and travel to local areas;
• Positive attitude with a mind set of delivering development services in a most professional manner;
• Excellent skills in technical writing, listening, interpersonal skills;
• Experience of directly working with communities will be preferred.
• Ability to work under stress situations and manage multiple tasks;
Fluency in Urdu and English is essential. Preference will be given who has the ability to communicate in Local language.
This position is open to applicants of either sex. Preference will be given to equally qualified women candidates. Only short listed candidates would be contacted.