Background: The terrorism stricken families in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa have lost their livelihoods and economic opportunities to put their lives back on the track of development. In addition, they face immense challenges to cope with special needs owing to disabilities resulting from acts of terrorism. The death of a parent (or parents) has brought trauma and deprived thousands of children of vital support for their social, emotional and intellectual development, if left unaddressed will create a serious crisis. These challenges cannot be addressed through one time financial grant. One option is to develop a long-term sustainable mechanism to put in place through an independent Fund, where the Government can provide the initial grant-in-aid and the philanthropists and donors can join in later to bring positive changes in the lives of thousands of people in dire need of help. Other options are to provide support through linking these individuals to sustainable support mechanisms.
Objective: To prepare a project document “reintegration of affected population” which outlines a strategy to address the wellbeing of terrorism stricken families in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. The goal of the project would be to provide acoordinated and consolidated response to protect the most vulnerable population, by devising a systematic and planned line of action that addresses the immediate as well as the long term needs of the children, women and men who have been affected by the bombings or terrorism acts in different parts of Peshawar and Khyber Pukhtoonkhwa in general. The overarching strategy would be to support the re-integration of the affected communities in the following three key components.
1. Physical rehabilitation ( particularly with regard to those being physically handicapped)
2. Psychological and mental support ( stress counseling)
3. Socio-economic reintegration particularly for the vulnerable groups.
Some strategic interventions could be as follows:
Employment opportunities facilitated by setting up vocational training centers or using existing ones in different parts of Peshawar. Blast victims’ families will be encouraged to develop their skills through these centers so that they can earn a living for themselves without being dependent on others.
Education and health facilities will be made accessible for children and widows affected by terrorism affected activities. The women and girls who have been left without husbands/fathers in the traditional Khyber Pukhtoonkhwa communities, and thus facing huge disadvantages and gender discrimination will need to be facilitated.
Proper working mechanism for registering complaints of children and women will need to be established. A strong mechanism of referral system to assist distressed children and women will need to be established on priority basis. There would be a need to improve social cohesion” and “support for law & order” through visible support to the victims of terrorist atrocities, which would be based on the findings and strategies outlined in the PCNA.
There could also be provisions in the project to provide physical rehabilitation support systems to the victims and the families.
The TORS of the consultant with experience of working on physical rehabilitation and psychological and mental support will carry out the following tasks.
· Facilitate the preparation a work plan to complete the above mentioned assignment in consultation with UNDP and PDMA/PaRRSA particularly on physical rehabilitation and psychological support.
· Do a literature review and conduct limited research (primary: key informant interviews and FGDs and secondary data analysis) for the project design and methodology incorporating the physical and psychological rehabilitation aspects in the project design.
· Submit the final document to UNDP
· Submit the correspondence from the relevant stakeholders supporting the project document.
The consultants will report to the Programme Officer, UNDP – CPRU, Islamabad through the Provincial Programme Manager, Peace and Development Programme, UNDP – CPRU, Peshawar.
Deliverables: Following are the key deliverables:
· Work Plan
· Proposed Institutional framework and mechanism
· Project document and budget
· Resource mobilization strategy