On 8 October, 2005, Pakistan was rocked by an earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale. This earthquake has devastated, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and northern parts of the NWFP. The earthquake has affected more than 5 million people with more than 2.5 million in need of immediate relief support. The Federal and Provincial Governments, Donors, NGOs and UN System rushed relief assistance to the affected areas and relief efforts are still continuing.
To cope with this enormous task of rehabilitation and reconstruction in the disaster affected areas, the Government of Pakistan has established the Earthquake Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority (ERRA). In response to the request from the Government of Pakistan, UNDP is supporting ERRA in carrying out its mandate through programmatic and institutional capacity building and strengthen ERRA’s capacity in programme planning and implementation, through “Technical Assistance for Management of Earthquake Early Recovery” (TAMEER).
2. Terms of Reference
Under the overall supervision of National Project Director, TAMEER project and in close coordination with the Programme Officer, the Senior Programme Advisor will be responsible for following activities:
· Senior Programme Advisor will be the focal point for strategic programme planning and implementation by assisting the Deputy Chairman ERRA.
· Senior Programme Advisor will also devote part of his time to assist Member Planning, ERRA for programme planning and implementation. S/he will ensure preparation of comprehensive work plans and their efficient and effective implementation.
· Advisor will oversee the updating and reviews of management systems and standing operating procedures (SoPs) to ensure efficient management systems as well as rules and regulations.
· Drawing on his personal skills and experience, the Senior Programme Advisor will help ERRA to put in place, efficient and transparent processes for expediting rehabilitation and reconstruction work.
· Assist ERRA in establishing linkages with the administration at the Federal, Provincial and District levels for smooth and effective implementation of ERRA’s programmes, policies and mandate.
· Assist Deputy Chairman in establishing liaison and rapport with the IFIs, UN Agencies, Donor Community, Civil Society and other Stakeholders for directing a coordinated effort in the rehabilitation and reconstruction process.
· Prepare plans for effective utilization of the technical assistance support by UNDP and other UN agencies and provide necessary support for mobilization of the inputs by ensuring production of intended outputs and results.
The candidate should have:
- Self-motivation and be a self reliant person with a strong sense of initiative and good computer skills with a Masters Degree.
- At least twelve years of relevant experience of work in senior positions in public and private sector, especially in public sector.
- Deep understanding of issues relating to management, administration and development.
- The ability to perform as a team member in a multi disciplinary environment;
- Well conversant with operating systems of the donor community and other key players in the development sector as especially that of the UN system and its operational modalities.
- Excellent communication skills in English and Urdu and good report writing and IT skills are essential.
- Willingness to visit difficult and remote regions in the affected zone;
- An understanding of the critical needs in rehabilitation and reconstruction in the EQ affected areas.