On 8 October, 2005, Pakistan was rocked by an earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale. This earthquake has devastated, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and northern parts of the NWFP. The earthquake has affected more than 5 million people with more than 2.5 million in need of immediate relief support. The Federal and Provincial Governments, Donors, NGOs and UN System rushed relief assistance to the affected areas and relief efforts are still continuing.
To cope with this enormous task of rehabilitation and reconstruction in the disaster affected areas, the Government of Pakistan has established the Earthquake Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority (ERRA). In response to the request from the Government of Pakistan, UNDP is supporting ERRA in carrying out its mandate through programmatic and institutional capacity building and strengthen ERRA’s capacity in programme planning and implementation, through “Technical Assistance for Management of Earthquake Early Recovery” (TAMEER).
Terms of Reference
Under the overall supervision of Director General PERRA, the Media Coordinator will be responsible for following activities:
· Collect first knowledge about activities of PERRA for publicity and reporting purposes and prepare reports and press releases in English and Urdu to highlight their working and performance.
· Facilitate preparation of documentaries and develop short stories on field based information relating to reconstruction and rehabilitation activities.
· Assist in disseminating information through suitable electronic and print media for the segmented target groups
· Assist write ups of editorials, press releases etc. and their publication in leading newspapers well before both the events and their best placing in the national news papers.
· Maintain regular liaison with all partner organizations in order to identify communication needs and to extend necessary support to them accordingly.
· Conduct/Arrange briefings on effective use of media guidelines for media professionals and disseminate reports and recommendations of media watch group.
· Prepare periodic media coverage reports, for the senior management
· Keep a close liaison with journalists and other stakeholders working for the media.
· Any other duties assigned related to this component
The candidate should have:
· Self-motivation and be a self reliant person with a strong sense of initiative and good computer skills with a Masters Degree in Journalism and/or related subjects.
· At least five years of proven experience in media management and projection of donor and government funded media related projects or working in government and/or donor agencies preferably in a media/communication position.
· Experience in working in affected districts of NWFP and/or AJK preferred; and experience working with GoP and civil society is mandatory;
· Excellent communication skills in English and Urdu and good report writing and presentation skills are essential.
· skills are essential.
Duration of Appointment: Till 31 December 2010