On 8 October, 2005, Pakistan was rocked by an earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale. This earthquake has devastated, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and northern parts of the NWFP. The earthquake has affected more than 5 million people with more than 2.5 million in need of immediate relief support. The Federal and Provincial Governments, Donors, NGOs and UN System rushed relief assistance to the affected areas and relief efforts are still continuing.
To cope with this enormous task of rehabilitation and reconstruction in the disaster affected areas, the Government of Pakistan has established the Earthquake Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority (ERRA). In response to the request from the Government of Pakistan, UNDP is supporting ERRA in carrying out its mandate through programmatic and institutional capacity building and strengthen ERRA’s capacity in programme planning and implementation, through “Technical Assistance for Management of Earthquake Early Recovery” (TAMEER).
Terms of Reference
The Gender Specialist will be responsible for:
a. Provide technical backstopping for mainstreaming gender in ERRA, PERRA and SERRA.
b. Strengthen and operationalize the strategic direction for gender mainstreaming efforts reflected in the Gender Policy for EQAAs, including developing project concept notes and overseeing implementation of approved projects.
c. Contribute significantly in achieving the gender priorities set out in ERRA sectoral strategies.
d. Develop professional and effective working relationship with the Ministry of Women Development vis-à-vis GoP commitments on Gender Equality and other agencies working on GE.
e. Provide advice and technical expertise on the inclusion of gender perspective and analysis, where appropriate, in all decisions, policies and programmes.
f. Provide technical advice and expertise to sectors on how to include a gender perspective into programmes, projects and activities, including reporting.
g. Work with M&E Wing to put in place systems for collecting and disseminating timely, accurate, detailed, reliable and up-to-date information on gender specific activities in different sectors of ERRA.
h. Oversee the use of gender related tools, guidelines, resources in ERRA.
i. Support capacity-building of staff working in different sectors for gender mainstreaming in ERRA, PERRA and SERRA.
j. Guide and oversee the functioning of gender mainstreaming mechanisms (core group) within ERRA.
k. Oversee liaison and coordination on gender mainstreaming with local and international NGOs, government departments involved in R&R.
l. Coordinate with relevant partners; explore possibilities of conducting research and analysis on gender issues in the affected areas.
m. Document and share best practices and lessons learned on gender mainstreaming in R&R.
n. Provide inputs with a gender perspective into relevant reports received by ERRA from within or from other partner organizations.
o. Facilitate the involvement of women, women leaders and women’s organizations and networks in R&R efforts.
The candidate should have:
· University degree (Masters Degree), in social sciences, management, women and gender studies, or other relevant disciplines such as sociology, economics, other social science or related humanities field with a focus on gender equality.
· At least 12 years of progressively responsible experience in women-specific and gender issues, gender planning, gender analysis, gender mainstreaming and promotion of gender equality at national level.
· Knowledge and expertise relating to integrating gender equality considerations into disaster recovery/reconstruction programs and projects.
· Knowledge of relevant institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to women and gender issues is desirable.
· Experience in working in affected districts of NWFP and/or AJK preferred; and experience working with GoP and civil society is mandatory;
Duration of Appointment: Till 31 December 2010