On 8 October, 2005, Pakistan was rocked by an earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale. This earthquake has devastated, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and northern parts of the NWFP. The earthquake has affected more than 5 million people with more than 2.5 million in need of immediate relief support. The Federal and Provincial Governments, Donors, NGOs and UN System rushed relief assistance to the affected areas and relief efforts are still continuing.
To cope with this enormous task of rehabilitation and reconstruction in the disaster affected areas, the Government of Pakistan has established the Earthquake Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority (ERRA). In response to the request from the Government of Pakistan, UNDP is supporting ERRA in carrying out its mandate through programmatic and institutional capacity building and strengthen ERRA’s capacity in programme planning and implementation, through “Technical Assistance for Management of Earthquake Early Recovery” (TAMEER).
Terms of Reference
The DPE position plays a pivotal role at DRU level and incumbent will supervise TAMEER team and also assist DRU in preparation/approval of PC-1s. Working under the overall direction of Provincial Planning Expert and in close collaboration with concerned implementing agencies, the District Planning Expert will be responsible for following activities:
· Based on approved sectoral strategies and indicative budgets for the district, assist DRU and implementing agencies in timely completion of detailed annual work plans for individual sectors.
· Assist DRU in presentation of plans and getting required approvals at the district and provincial level
· Assist DRU and implementing agencies in rolling out of the approved plans including packaging of schemes, preparation of PC-Is, approval of PC-Is and tendering process.
· Assist DRU in periodic progress review of implementation and removal of impediments.
The candidate should have:
· A self-motivated and self reliant person with an advanced degree in Economics. Degree in social sciences will also be acceptable if the candidate has substantial experience in project planning and implementation in public sector.
· At least ten years experience in planning and implementation of donor and government funded projects and a programme is a must.
· Experience in working in affected districts of NWFP and/or AJK preferred; and experience working with GoP and civil society is mandatory;
· Strong sense of initiative and good computer skills
· Good communication skills in English and Urdu and good report writing and presentation skills are essential
Duration of Appointment: Till 31 December 2010