Pakistan continues to suffer from a plethora of natural and human induced hazards such as floods, earthquakes, landslides, cyclones and drought, fires, civil unrest, terrorism, transport and industrial accidents that threaten to affect the lives and livelihood of its citizens. The Climate Change and related disaster risks have added an additional dimension to the task of development planners.
Following the promulgation of National Disaster Management Ordinance (NDMO) 2006, the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) was established in 2007 to steer the process of DRM as focal point at the federal level. Similarly, the Provincial Disaster Management Authorities (PDMAs) have also been established in Punjab, Sindh, Balochistan, NWFP, AJ&K and Northern Areas. Since its inception, NDMA has undertaken a number of initiatives with support from international donor community especially the UN System in Pakistan.
In order to further strengthen the national Disaster Risk Management (DRM) system, a One-UN Joint DRM Programme was launched in early 2009 for an initial time-frame of two years. The Programme is assisting the Government of Pakistan through its four significant outcomes, i.e. strengthening the institutional and policy framework; understanding and monitoring of risks; supporting information management and communication system; and developing community-based DRM system which will include training people, promoting volunteerism and raising public awareness about DRM issues.
Under the overall guidance of the National Project Manager and direct supervisor of designated supervisor if applicable, the Coordination Associate ensures effective delivery of the Project Office programme by entering and managing data and supporting programme implementation consistent with UNDP Rules and Regulations.
The Coordination Associate will report to the Project Officer UNDP / NDMA.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Coordination Associate will be responsible for performing the following tasks:
Prepare and execute workshops / training sessions for selected committees
Solicit and maintain training plans of all responsible parties and maintain a consolidated calendar for all outputs of the project.
Support the coordination of planning and implementation of project activities planned for obtaining better results.
· Facilitate the Project Officer in his overall supervision and monitoring function
• Monitor overall receipt of funds, commitments and actual expenditures and
update periodic expenditure statement report.
• Draft correspondence, compile and organize documents. Receive and review
requests from project field offices regarding procurements, subcontracts and
• Assist in preparation of the documents for reversals and adjustment entries in
ATLAS if required.
• Assist the NPM in all necessary documentation for submission to different
• With the assistance of the AFA generate, monitor and check financial reports.
• Support in carrying out routine budget revisions in consultation with National
• Maintain a good filing system, electronic or otherwise, of the programme.
• Compile and disseminate information/ documents on project activities as required
by National Project Manager.
• Provide all logistical support for meetings, seminars, workshops and missions.
• Data entry of budget figures in ATLAS, revision of project award and project
status in association with the AFA.
• Presentation of information for internal and external audit in association with the
• Creation of requisitions and raising of POs and non-PO vouchers in ALTAS
• Assist NPM/MEO in collection of various data and support in furnishing of
Quarterly, Semester and Annual Reports.
· Any other work that s/he may be assigned by the National Project Manager.
· Good interpersonal communication skills;
· Good physical health and ability to travel to local areas with basic travel facilities;
· Positive attitude with a mind set of delivering development services in a most professional manner
Proficiency in both English and Urdu is desirable. Ability to speak and understand the local language would be an added advantage
UNDP is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply.