Under the guidance of the UNDSS Chief Security Advisor (CSA), the National Security Specialist (NSS) is responsible for monitoring the security situation in Pakistan in the context of political, social, environmental and general security considerations. He should advise the CSA or his deputy (DSA) on the situation and on his evaluation, based on his local knowledge, security background experience, and local contacts with the Host Nation (HN) apparatus. He will also act as the senior national staff member.
The NSS is to maintain close liaison with government authorities responsible for security, including the MOI, Military, Police and other agencies in the security community, in order to keep current on the prevailing security situation. He should also foster close links with the Security Focal Points (SFP) of all the UN agencies in order to maintain a timely flow of information on security related issues.
The NSS will also act as the primary interface with the private security company responsible for elements of the security of UN personnel, offices and residences.
The NSS is directly responsible to the CSA, and to the DSA in his absence. He is the senior national officer within UNDSS and as such also fulfils the role of focal point and coordinator for national staff.
Summary of Key Functions:
1. Serving as senior national advisor to the CSA on all aspects of security and security operations within the country
2. Providing socio economic security inputs to CSA for operational planning.
3. Cooperating closely on security matters with all the agency security focal points for operational security management.
4. Conducting regular security operational briefings and updates to the CSA, DSA, Security Cell, Agency SFP and other agencies or individuals as directed by the CSA. Act as secretary to the Security Cell.
5. Liaise with government ministries by attending formal meetings and briefings with senior government officials responsible for security management. Collate security information for the CSA and assist him with security analysis and evaluation.
6. Assist and advise the CSA/Operations Officer/Senior Information Analyst with security incident analysis and Security Risk Analysis (SRA) in order to identify trends and detect where possible incipient security related events.
7. Provide advice to the CSA on security related issues affecting the security and safety of UN staff and property.
8. Provide input as directed in the preparation of SRA, Security Plan, evacuation plans, contingency plans, MOSS, MORSS, TORs and CSOPs.
9. Provide input for the preparation of mandatory reports for the DSA to forward to UNDSS NY (QIR, Updated Country Brief and Staff Lists).
10. Coordinate, review and amend SIR submissions for onward transmission to UNDSS NY, and for inclusion on the UNDSS Pakistan database.
11. Assist CSA in carrying out periodic MOSS audits of the Agencies.
12. On behalf of the CSA/DSA, carry out office, compound and residential security surveys submitting reports on each to the CSA/DSA for evaluation and ratification.
13. On behalf of the CSA/DSA, conduct security assessment missions to identify and record the security situation relating to a given issue, and to submit a report with recommendations to the CSA/DSA for evaluation.
14. Conduct security briefings for UN staff in the absence of CSA/DSA and as required.
15. Assist CSA in preparing and conduct of security training for UNDSS and Agency staff.
16. Supervise the centralized UN ID card unit for Pakistan.
17. Supervise, manage and coordinate all matters regarding the provision of security guards with the UN contracted security guard company(PSC). Monitor the service provided by the company to ensure that it meets the contracted criteria reporting shortcomings when identified. Act as the focal point for receiving complaints and where possible resolve these issues to the attention of the CSA for further arbitration at senior managerial level. Verify monthly PSC bills against the numbers of UN staff and locations guarded by the company, bringing discrepancies to the attention of the CSA.
18. Act as the focal point for national staff administrative requirements within UNDSS HQ Islamabad.
19. As the senior UNDSS national staff member, assist regional FSCOs in the administration of all LSAs, coordinating common UNDSS policy.
1. Ensures the implementation of evaluation policies and strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
Participation in the planning, preparation and management of security evaluations conducted in the UNDSS Office.
Promotion of evaluation standards, quality assurance and control in the UNDSS Office.
Contribution to the evaluation work-plan, including the identification of topics to be evaluated from a security perspective.
2. Ensures effective coordination of the evaluation process in the DSS Office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
Preparation of analytical documents on areas or issues evaluated, in particular with emphasis on Agency programme delivery.
Development of MOSS and MORSS
Inclusion in SRA
Inclusion in the Security Plan for Pakistan
3. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the area of monitoring and evaluation, focusing on achievement of the following results:
Contribution in the formulation of the annual training goals programme of UNDSS staff.
Contribution to the implementation of Evaluation Knowledge Management and Learning Strategy for LSAs.
Collaboration and coordination with other UN agencies, government agencies, NGOs, and other organizations on monitoring and evaluation issues when seen in context of security issues.
IV. Impact of Results
The key results will have an impact of timely assessments and passage of security information to UN agencies, programmes and staff for the overall safety and security of all UN staff and UN assets through out the country.
V. Competencies and Critical Success Factors
Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standardsPromotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDSS.
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
Promotes knowledge management in UNDSS and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
Good knowledge of current development issues particularly those pertinent to UNDSS Practice Areas. Ability to conceptualize issues and analyze data.
Good technical skills in measurement and evaluation, including grasp of methodological and operational dimensions and the ability to link corporate and country level issues.
Ability to coordinate the work of the team.
Management and Leadership
Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills