On 8 October, 2005, Pakistan was rocked by an earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale. This earthquake has devastated, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and northern parts of the NWFP. The earthquake has affected more than 5 million people with more than 2.5 million in need of immediate relief support. The Federal and Provincial Governments, Donors, NGOs and UN System rushed relief assistance to the affected areas and relief efforts are still continuing.
To cope with this enormous task of rehabilitation and reconstruction in the disaster affected areas, the Government of Pakistan has established the Earthquake Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Authority (ERRA). In response to the request from the Government of Pakistan, UNDP will support ERRA in carrying out its mandate through programmatic and institutional capacity building and strengthen ERRA’s capacity in programme planning and implementation, through “Technical Assistance for Management of Earthquake Early Recovery” (TAMEER).
The Environment Expert will be responsible for following activities:
· To review and integrate all available data on damages into to preparation of PC-1 in NWFP and produce firm estimates for use in planning, budgeting and implementation phasing.
· Provide Technical assistance in different departments at PERRA & DRU in respect of sustainable environmental approach in development/rehabilitation.
· Develop a comprehensive plan for the rehabilitation of environmental damages on long term basis.
· Strengthening capacity of concerned provincial/state departments to undertake emergency infrastructure reconstruction.
· Identify & assess the issues observed necessary for sustainable use for revival of natural resources like water, forestry and wildlife.
· Chalk out policy for sustainable use of timber in the affected areas to ensure green construction.
· Prepare emergency preparedness and disaster management plan for the federal, provincial/state and district levels.
· Develop a planning, management, coordination, implementation and monitoring mechanism for the component and activities therein, with due regard to overall ERRA management and implementation approach and in close consultation with the provincial/state and district governments and intended beneficiaries.
· Coordinate all activities identified under the implementation strategy and coordinate and monitor their implementation.
· Identify technical assistance/capacity building needs at all levels of implementation and develop TOR and phasing plan.
· Work in close collaboration with the M & E Wing of ERRA.
The candidate should have:
· Advanced University Degree (Masters Degree), in natural sciences /social sciences, Environmental Engineering/Civil Engineering or other relevant disciplines.
· The candidate for the position should have vast exposure of working in environmental management activities.
· Experience of reviewing EIA/IEE and environmental management plan in civil work or construction activities.
· Related activities and at least 7-11 years of experience in formulation, planning and management of environmental projects.
· Innovative research approach for sustainable environment and restoration methodologies for protection of natural resources will be required.
· Previous work experience in the mountainous region/earthquake affected areas will be preferred.
· Good communication skills in English and Urdu and good report writing and presentation skills are essential.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.