1: The Government of Balochistan, Planning and Development Department launched “Assistance to Governance Reforms and Practices in Balochistan” Project in the province with the technical assistance of United Nations Development Program to improve public services delivery. The project aims at
i) strengthening and alignment of provincial and local government institutions to implement devolution and related governance reform; ii) improvement in access to information for effective decision making, planning and monitoring at provincial and local government levels; and iii) strengthening of participatory local governance mechanisms.
Local Government and Rural Development Department under the umbrella of provincial government has four attached departments, which are Local Government Directorate, Local Government Election Authority, Local Government Board and Rural Development Academy. The main objective of the study is the in depth analysis of all the four organs of the department to bring significant improvement in the efficiency and effectiveness of the department as envisaged in the Local Government Ordinance.
2: The Project has conducted assessment study of the Rural Development Academy however the operational plan of RDA has to be prepared as part of the study in line with the assessment study already conducted. The project will undertake a detailed organization development study of the said departments to bring significant improvement in the department’s performance and outcome.
This study will present a unique strategy, while using OD tools and techniques, for system change both at individual and organization level, it shall clearly indicate the steps required by the department to attain its stated objectives and desired outcome. The study shall provide a way forward for the development of department in terms of its structure, functions and processes, rules and regulations and capacity building plan for the development of the personnel serving in the department. The job description and job specification of the departments’ personnel in the light of the ever changing environment of the department needs to be elaborated along with the performance indicators for improving the efficiency and effective of its work force. There by making the department more responsive to the public needs in the changing environment of local governance..
The main objective of the study is in depth analysis of the four organs of the local government department, review its structure, its strategy and processes and human resource management system and to suggest the ways and means to improve the over all working environment of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
A consultant will focus on the following key work tasks:
· To develop and submit a work plan highlighting the details of activities for undertaking the assignment with appropriate timelines for the approval of the project management.
· To conduct various meetings with the concerned Provincial and Local Government Departments especially Secretary Local Government, Secretary Finance, Director General Local Government, Secretary Local Government Board, Nazims, DCOs, Chairman and members of Local Government Commission, DG Local Govt board, Director RDA and Election Authority Officials.
· To review and consult all records/documents/material including Balochistan Local government ordinance, Acts, instructions, procedures and bylaws in practice in Balochistan and other provinces.
· To conduct a detailed research including individual interviews, survey, Focus Group Discussion or consultative workshop with concerned department officials to understand the role of the department and on the basis of which, the consultant will present a detailed report with the organization development strategy as elaborated in Para 2 above
· Submission of Work Plan to AGRP-B showing the details of activities to be conducted
· Conduct Workshop / Focus Group Discussion with the stakeholders & Consolidated Workshop Report.
· Presentation of the organization development study draft Report to the AGRPB Technical Committee on LG, The recommendations of the Committee are to be incorporated before the report is to be finalized
· Final Report of the organizational development study
· Development of Organization Development Plan and Strategy
The consultant will be responsible to report directly to the NPM. Consultant will arrange meetings with all the partners or departments relevant to be involved in this study. Consultant will submit two reports during the period of assignment: 1) initial draft report to be reviewed by the technical committee on local Government and 2) a final report after incorporating the comments in the initial report at the end of the assignment period.
Duration of the work
The duration for completing the organization development study will be 60 days , but preference will be given to the one suggesting the short period of time for the work.
Duty station for the hired consultant would be at Quetta with possibility of travelling to different offices in Quetta.
Budget and Mode of Payment
Upon receiving the bids/proposals, the evaluation/selection committee will decide on the best person suitable for the assignment. The selection committee decision would be final. Preference will be given to the cost effective and competent one.
The payment shall be made upon completion of the following milestones.
1) 30% of the total amount shall be paid upon submission of work plan highlighting the details of activities and due approval of NPM.
2) 30% of the total amount shall be paid upon submission and presentation of the draft report the Local Government Technical Committee. and approval of NPM.(2 copies both soft and hard)
3) 40% of the total amount shall be paid upon completion, and submission of final report of the study, Organization Development Plan and Strategy both in soft and hard.
Moreover, in case the consultant is based out side Baluchistan, the consultant along with, at the maximum one assistant, would also be paid two return airfare, if necessary by the AGRP-B project. The consultant is entitled to reimburse the airfares for the above itinerary, upon presentation of the used tickets stubs in an amount not exceeding the economy class fare. However, no daily subsistence allowance would be given to the consultant as all traveling is within the duty station i.e. Quetta. Moreover, logistic support would be provided by AGRP-B.
· However AGRP-B would provide the office space with computer, if necessary