The project ‘Gender Promotion In The Garment / Clothing Sector Through Skills Development’ aims “To reduce poverty and empower female garment workers through skills development and private sector partnerships”. The project goal is designed to be achieved through implementation of three interrelated project outputs. These objectives cover the areas of accessible training units, dissemination of best practices in garment training, capacity building of institutions to enable them support gender mainstreaming and sustainability of the overall agenda.
Under the guidance and the direct supervision of the National Project Manager, the Communication and Advocacy Specialist will be responsible for projecting and promoting effectively the advocacy, communications and research work of GEN-PROM project and advocating for its replication.
Developing Communications Strategy and supporting its implementation:
1. Review project initiatives and interventions from advocacy and communications perspective and develop communications strategy in consultation with the National Project Director, National Project Manager, PMU staff and other stakeholders. Implement communications strategy with the assistance of project staff and Implementing Partners- PRGMEA.
2. Liaise with Country Office staff, particularly with the Communications Unit, and with Implementing Partners to develop partnership with individuals, groups, public and private organizations and garment/clothing industry whose support is necessary for achievement of advocacy and communication objectives.
3. Act as a focal person on behalf of the PMU for all advocacy and communications activities and ensure sharing and dissemination of relevant information to UNDP Country Office and all other concerned, in an effective manner and on regular basis.
Enhanced presence of GEN-PROM project in media:
1. Cultivate a strong working relationship with a wide range of media organizations (local and foreign newspapers, radio, TV networks, web portals etc.) to ensure timely effective coverage of projects events and initiative.
2. Plan creative media activities to capitalize on the important occasions e.g. workshops, seminars etc. Arrange field visits of media groups to successful Satellite Training Units (STUs) and project sites where GEN-PROM had accomplished results.
3. Synthesize results of GEN-PROM work to make it understandable to senior policy makers and common people. Translate these results into advocacy and communications friendly information and project it through appropriate channels and sources.
Development of effective tools for media coverage:
1. Prepare a comprehensive list of all media options in Pakistan with details on profile and contacts information.
2. Set up a photo library with a collection of representative pictures of GEN-PROM work and upload over the project website.
Content Management of GEN-PROM Website
1. Review GEN-PROM website contents on regular basis and update them including News, Announcements on regular basis.
2. Facilitate the designing, writing, printing/publishing, and disseminating the newsletter and other relevant information and knowledge pertinent to the garment/clothing sector.
3. Disseminate the Newsletter over the project website.
4. Lead development of an information and knowledge portal on “Gender and Pakistan’s Garment Industry” in consultation with stakeholders.
Designing and Publishing of awareness raising and advocacy material
1. Facilitate in designing and printing of communication, advocacy and awareness raising material pertinent to gender mainstreaming in the garment/clothing industry.
2. Disseminate the material to all concerned stakeholders.
Facilitation in Research and Knowledge Management Work.
1. Identify areas of potential research cooperation by consulting all stakeholders and project beneficiaries; advocate with and facilitate the research institutions, associations and industry, particularly for conducting social audit studies, writing bilateral trade negotiation papers, and other activities as outlined in the work plan.
2. Take a lead in designing knowledge products and documenting best practices and success stories of the Gen-Prom project.
3. Maintain a database/record of trainees and employment opportunities in the sector, to be published in the Gen-Prom Opportunities bulletin.
4. Compile and distribute Gen-Prom Opportunities bulletin to relevant stakeholders and particularly to textile associations countrywide;
5. Ensure proper management of all relevant key knowledge documents produced by international and national research and policy institutions;
Reporting, Documentation and Miscellaneous.
1. Facilitate in preparing quarterly and annual progress reports;
2. Arrange meetings, internal and external, and perform liaison duties with other units;
3. Work closely with the Communications and Advocacy Specialist based in the Punjab PMU, and the UNDP Country Office;
4. Perform other duties as and when required.