On 8 October, 2005, Pakistan was rocked by an earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale. This earthquake has devastated, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and northern parts of the NWFP. The earthquake has affected more than 5 million people with more than 2.5 million in need of immediate relief support. The Federal and Provincial Governments, Donors, NGOs and UN System rushed relief assistance to the affected areas and relief efforts are still continuing.
To cope with this enormous task of rehabilitation and reconstruction in the disaster affected areas, the Government of Pakistan has established the Earthquake Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Authority (ERRA). In response to the request from the Government of Pakistan, UNDP will support ERRA in carrying out its mandate through programmatic and institutional capacity building and strengthen ERRA’s capacity in programme planning and implementation, through “Technical Assistance for Management of Earthquake Early Recovery” (TAMEER).
Terms of Reference:
Under the overall direction of Director Technical, the Database Administrator will be responsible for following activities:
• Major Responsibilities of Database administrator
• Maintain and upgrade database systems
• Establish policies and procedures for staff
• Train employees and management personnel in database use
• Stay abreast of changing technologies and design techniques
• Direct report generation
• Analyze data quality and usage
• Identify user requirements and add new users as needed
• Knowledge of the principles behind structuring an integrated database system. Knowledge of metadata requirements and solutions.
• Knowledge of data stewardship, data quality, and data distribution methods. Knowledge in translating business requirement definitions into logical and physical database designs.
• Good analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving skills. Knowledge of SQL or TSQL scripting, writing stored procedures.
• Good knowledge of maintenance and administration of database servers, tables, fields, indices, stored procedures, functions, triggers and views.
• Good knowledge of performance tuning, data integrity, normalization, backups, and security. Analytical skills to comprehend and translate customer needs into effective productive database systems design.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written), particularly for obtaining, organizing and conveying database information.
• Ability to spot trends in recurring problems and take action to prevent future occurrences.
Extensive experience with SQL Server and Oracle.
• Knowledge of successful life-cycle systems analysis practices.
• Knowledge of database installation, object creation, monitoring, space management, patches, and upgrades.
• Good knowledge of data modeling, metadata, data cleaning, and standards. Knowledge of object oriented programming, web, and database languages.
• Working knowledge and understanding of several operating system environments.
• Working knowledge and understanding of Local Area Network environments.
• Ability to support a variety of databases/applications as and when required.
• Working knowledge of the capabilities and limitations of computer hardware and peripheral equipment.
• Understanding of replication and clustered environments. Knowledge of data warehousing technologies.
• Excellent verbal and written skills and ability to work in a team environment and communicate database information.
• Ability to handle multiple priorities and adapt to constantly changing priorities.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships and establish a good level of integrity with associates and vendors.
• Ability to assist in developing and implementing systems and documentation to provide for accurate and effective customer support services.
• Independently resolves intermediate and complex or random technical problems.