Duration : 12 / 15 Months
National Commission on the Status of Women (NCSW) is a statutory body established under an ordinance in 2000 and having a mandate to review the laws and policies to bring in a gender perspective. Advocacy with policy makers for its gender sensitive policy recommendations is one of the major tasks assigned to the Commission. To end the harmful customary practices Commission has formulated policy recommendations in two important reports i.e. Report on ‘Hudood Ordinances 1979’ which was the basis for the promulgation of Women Protection Act 2006 and Concept of Justice in Islam: Qisas and Diyat to deal with the ‘honour crimes. Criminal Law (Amendment) Act 2004 included some of the major recommendations given in the report still some major recommendations were left out due to political pressure.
Timely implementation of the law helps to assess the effectiveness or the inadequacy of any piece of legal instrument. Similarly awareness levels of the affected individuals in the concerned institutions play a crucial role in access and delivery of the justice at the local level. Keeping that in view Commission desires to assess the levels of awareness of the key actors. Especially in those district where the prevalence of the ‘honour killing’ is considerably high. The Commission would work towards the building the capacities of the key actors. This will be done with the private partnership of those NGOs having large infrastructures, experience and capacity to do the needful. This initiative is financially supported by UNIFEM through its UN Trust Fund to end ‘Violence Against Women’ under a project called ‘Public Private Partnership to end ‘Honour Crimes’ through Implementation of Criminal Law (Amendment) Act 2004’.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Chairperson NCSW, the Consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
· To provide strategic coordination support to all implementing partners
· To carry out activities for achieving the required targets by ensuring the submission of Annual Project work plans, annual and quarterly progress reports along with the financial reports with the help of finance and admin officer
· To facilitate the convening of Project Steering Committee and server as their secretariat for effective implementation
· To assist project implementation in close collaboration with NPD in accordance with requirements e.g, support the selection and recruitment of the project staff and to carry out project work plan activities
· To assist in the mobilization of resource pools for project partners and
· To manage the mobilization and provision of inputs of the project and production of outputs, according to the project document and procedures
- Post graduate degree in gender and development issues.
- At least ten years experience of working in a managerial and supervision position
- Experience and familiarity with gender issues
- Excellent written and spoken English/ Urdu
- Computer literate and in :MS Word, MS and MS Power Point
- Knowledge of the UN system