On 8 October, 2005, Pakistan was rocked by an earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale. This earthquake has devastated, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and northern parts of the NWFP. The earthquake has affected more than 5 million people with more than 2.5 million in need of immediate relief support. The Federal and Provincial Governments, Donors, NGOs and UN System rushed relief assistance to the affected areas and relief efforts are still continuing.
To cope with this enormous task of rehabilitation and reconstruction in the disaster affected areas, the Government of Pakistan has established the Earthquake Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Authority (ERRA). In response to the request from the Government of Pakistan, UNDP will support ERRA in carrying out its mandate through programmatic and institutional capacity building and strengthen ERRA’s capacity in programme planning and implementation, through “Technical Assistance for Management of Earthquake Early Recovery” (TAMEER).
Under the overall supervision of District Planning Expert, the District Education Coordinator will be responsible for following activities:
· Based on the approved sectoral strategies and indicative budgets of Education Sector, the incumbent will assist in close coordination with EDO/DEO and DRU, in timely completion of detailed annual work plan for Education Sector
· Assist in presentation of plans and getting required approvals at the DRAC and Steering Committee levels.
· Assist in rolling out of the approved plans including packaging of schemes, preparation of PC-1s, approval of PC-1s and tendering process.
· Assist the PM /District Planning Expert in overall implementation of the education sector reconstruction and rehabilitation strategy
· Assist in preparation of benchmarks and monitoring plan for Education Sector. Undertake monitoring activities in the field as and when required.
· Provide inputs for monthly/quarterly progress report
· Maintain communication with the implementing partners on all matters pertaining to the Education Sector
· Any other duties assigned related to this component