Background of the assignment
The Government of Pakistan has established an Earthquake Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Authority to spearhead the rehabilitation and reconstruction activities, in the wake of devastating earthquake of 08 October 2005, in the eight worst affected districts of NWFP and AJK.
To fulfill its mandate, ERRA has established a three-tiered implementation framework for planning, coordination and implementation. At the provincial level, a Provincial Reconstruction Agency is responsible for leading the planning, coordination and implementation process which, interalia, includes guiding the planning process at the district level and consolidation of the district sectoral plans and getting them approved from the Steering Committee.
ERRA is covering 11 sectors and umbrella sectoral strategies are approved. The DRUs are required to prepare annual implementation plans for each sector. These plans, after approval from the District Reconstruction Advisory Committee (DRAC) are to be reviewed and consolidated by PERRA before their submission to Steering Committee for approval. The existing capacity of PERRA in this regard is still limited and requires urgent additional support. It is therefore intended that one Planning Expert should immediately provided to PERRA to assist them in guiding the preparation of district sectoral plans and their subsequent review and consolidation.
• Assistance to PERRA in preparation of sectoral annual plans
• Making sure that the deadlines specified by ERRA/PERRA are adhered to in terms of finalization and submission of sectoral plans to specified forums.
• Oversight of and assistance to DRU Planning Experts in formulation of plans and to PERRA in rolling out of the approved annual plans.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Working under the overall direction of Director General, PERRA and in close collaboration with concerned implementing agencies, the Provincial Planning Expert will be responsible for following activities
• Based on approved sectoral strategies and indicative budgets for the districts, guide and assist DRU Planning Experts and implementing agencies in timely completion of detailed annual work plans for individual sectors
• Advise PERRA in evaluation/review of plans and their consolidation for submission to Steering Committee
• Advise PERRA in guiding the DRUs and implementing agencies in rolling out of the approved plans including packaging of schemes, preparation of PC-Is, approval of PC-Is and tendering process
• Advise PERRA in periodic progress review of implementation against approved plans and removal of impediments
• Advise PERRA to improve management and coordination of its reconstruction and rehabilitation mandate across all sectors
The Provincial Planning Expert will be required to furnish a detailed activity plan, with timelines, within fifteen days of his joining PERRA and get it approved from Director General, PERRA. S/he will submit monthly progress reports to PERRA and ERRA (Planning Wing)