2-months short-term assignment
Terms of Reference (TOR)
Human Resource Development Consultant (HRDC)
The Area Development Programme Balochistan (ADPB), jointly supported by Provincial Government of Balochistan (GoB), World Food Programme (WFP) and UNDP, has started its implementation in April 1999 and will be closed in December 2004 while another 5-year extension is under discussion. ADPB has been successful in organizing communities for improving agriculture and livestock productivity, planning and implementation of local level development such as irrigation, range management and watershed management, and improving access to social services. One of the expected outputs is “improved efficiency of government functionaries in handling community development programme.” In this regard, it was decided that ADPB would assist to build capacity of Planning & Development Department of GoB (P&DD Quetta) in several sectors found to be weak in order for P&DD Quetta would be able to prepare development programmes better.
HRDC will be answerable to the Additional Chief Secretary (ACS), Planning & Development Department, Government of Balochistan. The majority of task will be undertaken in collaboration with P&DD, Education Department, and ADPB. It would be a learning process that will reflect inclusive decision-making and maximum transparency and accountability.
To assess overall P&DD Quetta requirements in respect of training needs, sourcing of appropriate training programs and individual development needs and propose common training plan and implementation strategy.
Scope of Work (Tasks):
The consultant, in collaboration with stakeholders, will be responsible for:
- Conduct organizational needs assessment to determine skill gaps.
- Contribute to strategic initiatives requiring a leadership/management development input.
- Evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of leadership and management development training delivered.
- Assess needs of the private sector, especially in connection with expansion of Gwader port facilities and trade to be initiated in the future, assess training needs of people in Balochistan for service industry.
- Create a common training plan and implementation strategy.
- Develop an implementation plan for vocational skill development.
- Establish training programs and evaluation measures utilizing objective, valid and reliable methodologies.
- Assist the department in devising implementation strategy of the organizational training plan. This includes developing creative approaches to delivering training in areas such as project cycle management, preparing PCs, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation.
- Develop implementable systems/procedures to control training costs and to evaluate the effectiveness of training.
- Monitor external best practices, research current approaches, develop a network of external resources to support training and development work.
- Assist the department in developing quality relationships with educational institutions/suppliers to provide developmental and educational needs.
Assignment Duration and Remuneration:
Human Resource Development Consultant will complete the assignment during a period of two months begining from 1 November 2004 and ending on 31 December 2004.
The Consultant for Human Resource Development would report to Additional Chief Secretary, P&DD, Government of Balochistan.
The Consultant will be required to submit the final report containing all tasks given above to Additional Chief Secretary, P&DD Quetta and Project Coordinator, ADPB.