Under the immediate supervision of the United Nations Department of Safety and Security Chief Security Officer (CSA), the Local Security Assistant (LSA) will provide administrative assistance and support to HQ UNDSS Pakistan field stations. This post, although termed ‘Assistant’ as a job function is graded at ‘Associate’ (G6) level in terms of UNDP categorization and salary.
Functions / Key Results Expected
He or She will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Provide administrative support to the CSA and to provide updates on numbers of staff and their dependents and to disseminate information among SMT members, and Security Focal Points. Coordinate with regional Offices and Area Security Coordinators in updating their data and compiling reports.
2. Be familiar with the other essential functions within UNDSS such as the UN Pakistan Identity Card (ID) processing, Database and Security Clearance Coordination, including staff movements and mission details, and to cover those posts for short periods when necessary.
3. Provide general administrative support to the UN-DSS office and maintain routine and confidential correspondence files, and policy related documents and ensure they are cross-referenced and filed as appropriate.
4. Initiate HR issues for the UNDSS relating to hiring, contracts, Results and Competencies Assessment (RCAs) and other UNDP/UNDSS administrative issues.
5. Assist in the management of the UNDSS Core budget.
6. Provide guidance for all administrative matters to regional Field Security Coordination Officers (FSCOs) in UN DSS Offices in Karachi, Peshawar, Lahore, Muzaffarabad, Quetta, AND Abbotobad.
7. Act as Focal Point with UNDP on administrative matters, performing as the conduit between UNDSS, UNDP, UN Agencies, Funds and Programmes for follow-up action.
8. Identify the Equipment needs and develop the Annual Procurement plan for UNDSS office in Islamabad as well as the Regional Offices.
9. Facilitate all UN Radio Rooms administrative functions for HR, procurement, finance related activities and other administrative issues related to all UN Radio rooms located in Karachi, Lahore, Quetta, Peshawar, Muzaffarabad, Islamabad and the relief operations hubs.
10. Facilitate all activities related to travel e.g purchase orders, book flights and make travel arrangements for UNDSS staff
11. Manage UNDSS vehicle servicing activities and records in close cooperation with Procurement Unit UNDP.
12. Maintain records of all stores for UNDSS.
13. Other general administrative tasks like the maintenance of a central petty cash record, maintaining the filing system, the drafting of minutes and support for smooth running of office resources.
14. Active participation in all security related exercises in terms of administration. Arrange and Coordinate different security meetings, workshops and trainings throughout the year as required by the FSCO and with reference to the yearly plan of action.
15. On budget, procurement and finance issues: initiate process and follow-up on all UNDSS finance matters with UNDP as follows:
a) Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas.
b) Initiate timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions and unapproved vouchers.
c) Creation of requisitions in Atlas and register the receipt of goods.
d) Making budget checks for requisitions.
16. Represent UN DSS at selected meetings in accordance with mission requirements and as directed by the CSA or the Deputy Security Advisor (DSA).
17. Organize and Coordinate shipments, customs clearances and the preparation of all related required documentation.
18. Prepare required documents regarding visa extensions, R&R requests, UNLP renewals, CBR booklet and non-diplomatic ID card for initial processing and renewal.
19. Perform additional duties as assigned by the CSA or DSA.
Commitment to the ideals of the United Nations Charter and the Organization’s core values – Professionalism, Integrity and Respect for Diversity
Planning and Organizing: Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor his/her own work plan with minimum supervision. Ability to work under pressure or in crisis situations. Availability to travel within the area of responsibility.
Creativity: Ability to actively seek to improve services, offer new and different options to solve problems/meet client needs, and promote and persuade others to consider new ideas
Teamwork: Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to listen and work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
Communication: Proven and sustained communication (verbal and written) skills.