· Masters degree in Agriculture or a related discipline. Preference will be given to candidates having an additional qualification in/experience of Forestry.
· At least 7 years of experience in community based projects.
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and computer skills.
· Familiarity with local languages, customs and traditions are an advantage.
Area development programme Balochistan II (ADPB II) is the second phase of ADPB. It is an integrated development programme striving to contribute to poverty reduction in rural areas through the process of social mobilisation and community participation. The aim of the programme is to benefit 130,000 people living in identified valleys of 9 districts of Balochistan (namely Quetta, Pishin, Killa Saifullah, Loralai, Musa Khail, Mastung, Kalat and Khuzdar). The objectives of the project are:
• Mobilizing communities to become active partners in their local development
• Improving Agriculture and Livestock by construction of water harvesting structures, range management, research and demonstration of high yield crops varieties and improved breeds of animals, improving livestock management and protection system, developing and strengthening of irrigation (including karezes) system
• Improving access to markets, training of communities in various trades, training of line departments in participatory development process
Tasks and Responsibilities:
The NRM Specialist will closely work with local communities, line departments and NGOs and will spend approximately 50% of his/her time in the field. Under the overall guidance of the National Programme Director and direct supervision of the National Programme Coordinator, the Natural Resource Management (NRM) Specialist will perform the following tasks:
1. Plan, organise and implement an operational plan for NRM including crops, forestry, horticulture, water harvesting etc with concerned communities, line agencies and stakeholders.
2. As a member of the Programme Team, contribute to formulating the work plan for the programme within the framework of the participatory development process and in accordance with the approved Project Document and PC-I.
3. Develop sustainable methodologies and techniques for assisting farmers with planning and execution of crop, forestry and natural resource production directed at improving rural livelihood.
4. Develop, monitor and analyze on-farm research and development of recommendations that can be adopted by the farmers.
5. Develop NRM packages with the organised communities and successfully implement sector interventions
6. Review sector interventions and implementation methodologies and suggest specific recommendations for their improvement.
7. Train the staff and activists/specialists in the community in NRM tools and techniques for the transfer of knowledge and technology.
8. Develop reporting and monitoring tools for NRM packages.
9. Generate monthly and quarterly reports, reflecting on the direction of sector interventions, pace of implementation, qualitative and quantitative aspects of interventions and achievement of stated targets and outcomes
10. Develop linkages between rural communities, line agencies and research institutions for improved NRM.
11. Ensure close liaison and participation of all project stakeholders including government departments, NGOs and other similar programmes and projects being implemented in the NRM sector for building synergies and sharing information.
12. Consult the provincial forest department, wildlife department, agriculture department and irrigation department to collect information on the natural resource base of the area, and use the information while planning for the activities proposed under the project.
13. Carry out any other special tasks assigned by the National Programme Director and National Programme Coordinator.