Subsequent to the unprecedented devastating earthquake of the 8th October 2005 the nation demonstrated tremendous expression of spontaneous voluntarism for helping the unfortunate victims of the natural disaster. Nevertheless, despite strong will and enthusiasm the rescue and relief efforts remained blighted to some extent mainly due to lack of organization and coordination. National Volunteer Movement (NVM) was established by the Government of Pakistan soon after the earthquake to provide a platform to all Pakistanis who were willing to serve their country in an organized and coordinated manner.
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme have been supporting NVM since its inception based on the request of NVM. Through a project titled “Support to Volunteerism Initiatives in Pakistan,” UNDP and UNV have been providing NVM with human resources (professional consultants and UNV volunteers), capital resources (equipment, training furniture, and vehicles), and financial resources (funding for training activities).
Promote sense of social responsibilities for national self reliance and progress.
National Volunteer Movement by its mandate is expected to mobilize large number of volunteers, coordinate activities of volunteer-involving organizations, promote good volunteer management practices and advocate value of volunteerism in Pakistan. Being a government entity, NVM is highly expected to prepare policy and legislation which are beneficial to volunteer activities, volunteers and promotion of volunteerism.
Therefore, NVM requested UNDP/UNV to obtain services of an institute / organization which can form a team of consultants for developing a comprehensive national volunteer policy and institutional arrangements as appropriate for promotion of volunteerism in Pakistan.
The objective of this consultancy is to develop a National Volunteer Policy document and institutional arrangements as appropriate for promotion of volunteerism in Pakistan.
Scope of Work
The scope of assignment includes the development of a harmonized national volunteer policy document. In undertaking this assignment, the Consultants will work closely with the NVM Management, UNDP/UNV and other relevant stakeholders and will execute the following tasks:
Task 1: Inception Report
Attend an inception meeting with NVM management and UNDP/UNV concerned staff members, based on discussions, prepare a detailed Work Plan and design the process for undertaking consultations and carrying out relevant activities for preparation of the policy document. The work plan will also suggest the process to have the policy approved and institutionalized The plan will be shared with relevant stakeholders.
Task 2: Review of Existing Documentation and Legislation
The consultant is required to review:
• Any existing national and international studies and reports on the subject.
• Existing legislation ( if any) on volunteerism various international and regional policy models for national volunteering with a particular focus on best practices.
• Reviews of existing policy, legal and institutional frameworks and comparative analysis of national volunteer frameworks
• Identify any requirements with respect to the enactment of (as more appropriate) domestic volunteer legislation in Pakistan.
Task 3: Conduct National Consultations
• Carry out stakeholder analysis in consultation with NVM and UNV/UNDP for determining the stakeholders for the consultative process.
• Formulate mechanism for formulation of committee/s to oversee the process.
• Carry out in country consultations with the various Ministries and Divisions of Government of Pakistan, provincial departments, civil society organizations involved in the promotion of volunteerism in Pakistan and other stakeholders as determined in the approved work plan. Consult with stakeholders via a range of communication means (telephone, email) using appropriate tools such as questionnaires, focused groups, and/or consultative workshop, etc.
Task 4: Prepare Interim Report
Based on Task 2 and Task 3 above, prepare an Interim Report on the findings of the review and needs analysis including recommendations on the structure and coverage of harmonized policy documents as found to be most appropriate for promotion of national volunteering in Pakistan. The Interim Report will be submitted to NVM and UNDP/UNV for review and feedback.
Task 5: Draft National Volunteer Policy
Following feedback on the Interim report and based on the aforementioned Interim Report, prepare a discussion Draft National Volunteer Policy for circulation and review by the NVM, UNDP/UNV and other stakeholders.
Task 6: Draft institutional framework for National Volunteer Policy
Identify and design an appropriate institutional framework in support of National Volunteer Policy for circulation to and review by the NVM, UNDP/UNV and other stakeholders.
Task 7: Consultancy report to include National Volunteer Policy and finalized Draft Institutional framework design
Based upon the comments received in writing from the NVM prepare a report of the consultancy which will include a finalized Draft National Volunteer Policy suitable for promotion of national volunteering in Pakistan, and finalized design for the required institutional framework to implement said policy.
The document report will be presented to NVM, UNDP/UNV and other stakeholders at a national workshop designed to consider and endorse the harmonized policy draft. The finalized policy will then be submitted to the NVM Board of Director and National Council for endorsement and finally it will be submitted to the cabinet for consideration and approval.
4. Task Methodology
The Consultant will be required to perform:
1. In-depth literature review of the existing policy, legal and institutional frameworks for voluntary work and volunteerism in Pakistan, and comparative analysis of national and provincial level frameworks for initiation of voluntary activities in PakistanÍ¾
2. Stakeholder’s analysis to identify the primary and secondary stakeholders. Consultation and participation of a range of stakeholders at all levels is essential part of this assessment Í¾
3. Use of appropriate social research tools in conducting national consultations with the approval of DG NVM;
4. Design and conduct the participatory and interactive national consultation workshop for endorsement of the policy draft.
5. The consultants should operate on principles that are in line with the spirit of the UN system.
10 to 15 years of experience with thorough knowledge of the fields of volunteer management and volunteer’s related strategy and policy development. Strong knowledge o local government system of Pakistan and AJK.Experience of working on Government projects, especially related to youth and promotion of volunteerism, an advantage.
Fluency in English and Urdu, both spoken and written.
Excellent writing and communication skills, including the use of electronic media;
Demonstrate ability to assess complex situations in order to succinctly and clearly distil critical issues and draw forward looking conclusions;
Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams to deliver quality products in high stress, short deadline situations;
Proven capacity for working across different sectors and institutional levels from policy and decision-making, to administration and management, local government, and communities;
An ability to assess institutional capacity and incentives, and formulate proposals for strengthening and improvement;
Excellent facilitation skills in group discussion situations;
Strategic planning skills and experience in strategy and policy formulation;
Previous work experience in Pakistan and knowledge of the voluntary organizations and their work in the region will be an asset;
Detail oriented, able to meet deadlines and able to prioritize multiple tasks.