Ministry of Environment is launching the first phase of a UNDP-GEF & GoP funded project on “Sustainable Land Management to combat Desertification in Pakistan”. The overall goal of the project is to combat land degradation and desertification in Pakistan in order to protect and restore ecosystems and essential ecosystem services that are key to reducing poverty. The main objectives are to strengthen institutional capacity, create an enabling environment, and demonstrate good practices – all in an effort to help remove key barriers to Sustainable Land Management (SLM).
The Provincial Project Coordinator (PPC) will be responsible for day to day management of Provincial Coordination Unit, including general and financial administration, work planning, progress reporting and monitoring of the implementation of the pilot projects. He/she will work under the supervision and guidance of the Secretary, P&D/Provincial Project Director (PPD) with additional reporting line to the National Project Coordinator (NPC). The PPC will have the overall responsibility for the management and coordination of the project operations at the provincial level.
The PPC will be responsible for the following technical and managerial tasks:
- Manage the Provincial Coordination Unit, applying administrative and financial procedures as required under the PCOM and UNDP procedures;
- Act as focal person on behalf of UNDP during implementation of the project activities in the province and provide institutional backstopping to the PPD;
- Assist the PPD in coordination of project activities with provincial line departments as well as concerned District Governments and implementing partners where pilot projects are to be implemented;
- Work closely with the concerned Chief of Sections for cross-sectoral integration of the SLM practices;
- Keep close contact with the District Governments in the pilot districts for ensuring smooth functioning of pilot projects;
- Take lead in establishment of PCUs, including procurement of services/equipment as per PCOM;
- Effectively coordinate implementation of the pilot projects, including monitoring of implementation of quarterly workplans by the sub-contractor/implementing agency;
- Assist the thematic coordinators/consultants in designing and implementing activities related to policy reforms, mainstreaming NAP, land use planning; capacity building, M&E and GIS & RS activities;
- Documentation and dissemination of lesson learnt and best practices to the provincial line agencies and local communities;
- Keep close liaison with the NPC and keep him informed on the project operations or any other issue concerning the project;
- Timely submission of quarterly and annual progress reports, expenditure plans and advance budget requests to the NCU;
- Identification and resolution of pilot project implementation problems with the assistance of the PPD; and
- Perform any other task as and when required by the PPD and NPC.