The Crisis Prevention and Recovery Unit (CPRU) of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is supporting the Government of Pakistan in establishing policy, legal and institutional arrangements for disaster risk reduction. The purpose of UNDP support is to develop and strengthen capacities of the Government of Pakistan at national, provincial and local levels to adopt strategies for reducing threat of disasters and minimizing the impact of disaster events upon communities.
The Government of Pakistan has established policy and institutional mechanisms at national, provincial and district levels. A National Disaster Management Ordinance has been issued by the President on 21st of December 2006. Under the Ordinance a National Disaster Management Commission (NDMA) and a National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has been established. The National Commission has notified the provincial, regional and state governments to established disaster management authorities at provincial and district levels.
In order to develop capacities of the newly established national, provincial and district authorities, the UNDP is working closely with the National Disaster Management Authority. A Program Document has been signed to support implementation of the National Disaster Risk Management Framework.
An important strategy of UNDP is to implement Local & community level initiatives to promote a culture of disaster prevention and to reduce local vulnerabilities. In this regard, UNDP intends to implement mitigation programs an earthquake, flood and drought hazards as a priority.
Initially UNDP is planning to implement an earthquake risk mitigation project in Quetta city. Under the Project five key areas will be covered in order to develop capacities of the Quetta city. This will include risk assessment of the Quetta City, capacity development of the municipal corporation through training, development of City Disaster Risk Management Plan, conduct of simulation exercises, improve awareness of public officials and communities’, construction professionals and implement selected earthquake mitigation and preparedness activities.
Expected duration of the project is about 18 months. The Community & Local Level Programming Expert will be responsible for management of this intervention in Quetta.
The Community & Local Level Programming Expert will report to the National Disaster Risk Reduction Advisor.
3. Duties and Responsibilities
The Community & Local Level Programming Expert will be responsible for implementation of project activities at the municipality level in Quetta. S/he will ensure that activities are implemented in an efficient manner and good quality standards are maintained. The Community & Local Level Programming Expert will perform following tasks.
· Take leadership in initiating and implementing project activities.
· Develop a plan for implementation of project activities in Quetta with active participation of local stakeholders;
· Establish forums for participation of local stakeholders in project activities; e.g. municipal government, communities, technical institutions and relevant civil society organizations;
· Manage implementation of various structural and non-structural earthquake risk reduction activities;
· Establish institutional partnerships with appropriate technical or governance institutions to facilitate implementation of project activities;
· Take steps to ensure the quality of services and activities;
· Maintain a monitoring system to check project progress and ensure the achievement of outcomes and outputs given in the logical framework matrix;
· Submit project reports as per the schedule given in the project document;
· Manage project budget and ensure that spending is done according the budget given in the project document;
· Engage consultants/experts on as needed basis to deliver various services in the project;