The Crisis Prevention and Recovery Unit (CPRU) of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) are supporting the Government of Pakistan in establishing policy, legal and institutional arrangements for disaster risk reduction. The purpose of UNDP support is to develop and strengthen capacities of the Government of Pakistan at national, provincial and local levels to adopt strategies for reducing threat of disasters and minimizing the impact of disaster events upon communities.
The Government of Pakistan has established policy and institutional mechanisms at national, provincial and district levels. A National Disaster Management Ordinance has been issued by the President on 21st of December 2006. Under the Ordinance a National Disaster Management Commission (NDMA) and a National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has been established. The National Commission has notified the provincial, regional and state governments to established disaster management authorities at provincial and district levels.
In order to develop capacities of the newly established national, provincial and district authorities, the UNDP is working closely with the National Disaster Management Authority. A Program Document is being signed to support implementation of the National Disaster Risk Management Framework.
UNDP is supporting the newly established National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) and the Provincial Disaster Management Authorities to better manage and coordinate activities of various line ministers, departments and civil society. For this purpose, UNDP Pakistan is recruiting a Legal and Institutional Expert for NDMA to contribute to NDMA’s institutional strengthening and to take forward the initiatives for reducing disaster risk in the country.
Under the supervision of the National Disaster Reduction Advisor, the Legal and Institutional Expert will perform the following tasks:
· Support in establishment of NDMA’s linkages with the concerned ministries and departments at the federal and provincial levels.
· Establish proper channels of communication and coordination between NDMA and concerned ministries and departments at federal and provincial levels.
· Help NDMA in signing MOUs with relevant ministries, departments and private organizations for cooperation in the area of Disaster Risk Management.
· Assist NDMA in the development of any legal and technical documents for institutional development of NDMA.
· Help in preparation of PC – 1s for NDMA and their submission and approval from the concerned authorities.
· Facilitate the establishment and coordination of Ministerial Working Groups of the selected Federal and Provincial Ministers in order to integrate disaster risk reduction in the development policy and practice of those ministers.
· Work with the ministries / departments in incorporating relevant provisions for disaster risk assessment and disaster risk reduction in the project planning, design and implementation phases;
· Ensure that above provisions are incorporated into the relevant legal procedures and guidelines of the concerned ministries.
· Perform any other tasks assigned by the DRR Advisor and the Chairman NDMA with regards to NDMA’s institutional and legal relations and needs.
Female Candidates are encouraged to apply.