On 8 October, 2005, Pakistan was rocked by an earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale. This earthquake has devastated, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and northern parts of the NWFP. The earthquake has affected more than 5 million people with more than 2.5 million in need of immediate relief support. The Federal and Provincial Governments, Donors, NGOs and UN System rushed relief assistance to the affected areas and relief efforts are still continuing.
To cope with this enormous task of rehabilitation and reconstruction in the disaster affected areas, the Government of Pakistan has established the Earthquake Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Authority (ERRA). In response to the request from the Government of Pakistan, UNDP will support ERRA in carrying out its mandate through programmatic and institutional capacity building and strengthen ERRA’s capacity in programme planning and implementation, through “Technical Assistance for Management of Earthquake Early Recovery” (TAMEER).
2. Terms of Reference
Under the overall supervision of District Planning Expert, the District Environment Coordinator would perform the following tasks:
· To work on the environmental strategy of ERRA with PM DRUs for compliance and execution of different projects at district level.
· To collect base line data from concerned Depts. of NWFP & AJK and establish damage assessment data on district basis.
· To handle dissemination of information & guidelines to other sectors of ERRA for rehabilitation purpose and collect data, information.
· To assist in development of sectoral guidelines for housing, health, education, agriculture, livelihood and communication (roads/Power).
· To assist in development of EMP in all development sectors of ERRA at DRU level.
· To identify the projects required to carry out IEE/EIA or integration of environmental checklist.
· Oversee the compliance of IEE or Environmental Impact Assessment in required projects under Pakistan Environmental Protection Act, 1997.
· To assist and coordinate with Environmental Protection cell at ERRA, Environmental Planning Cell at PERRA/SERRA and Environmental Monitoring Cell at DRUs.
Female Candidates are encouraged to apply.