On 8 October, 2005, Pakistan was rocked by an earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale. This earthquake has devastated, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and northern parts of the NWFP. The earthquake affected more than 5 million people with more than 2.5 million in need of immediate relief support. The Federal and Provincial Governments, Donors, NGOs and UN System rushed relief assistance to the affected areas to make it a successful case of relief assistance for the world. But a major challenge of rehabilitation and reconstruction still lies ahead.
To cope with this enormous task of rehabilitation and reconstruction in the disaster affected areas the Government of Pakistan has established the Earthquake Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Authority (ERRA). In response to request from Government of Pakistan, UNDP provided timely support to ERRA with technical assistance to carrying out its mandate, through programmatic and institutional capacity building. With the view to strengthening ERRA’s capacity in programme planning and implementation, UNDP will provide a Senior Programme Advisor as part of its “Technical Assistance for Management of Earthquake Early Recovery” (TAMEER). Following are Terms of Reference of the Senior Programme Advisor who will play a key role in the Technical Assistance Team from UNDP to ERRA:
2. Terms of Reference
Under the overall supervision of Assistant Resident Representative (ARR), the Senior Programme Advisor will be responsible for following activities:
· Senior Programme Advisor will be the focal point for strategic programme planning and implementation by assisting the Deputy Chairman ERRA
· Senior Programme Advisor will also devote part of his time to assist Member Planning, ERRA for programme planning and implementation. He will ensure preparation of comprehensive work plans and their efficient and effective implementation.
· During the past almost a year, ERRA has put in place management systems and standing operating procedures (SoPs). These systems and procedures will need continuous reviewing and updating. The Senior Programme Advisor will oversee such updating and reviews to ensure efficient management systems as well as rules and regulations.
· The Authority will need motivated and experienced human resource for efficient execution of its assigned task of EQ rehabilitation and reconstruction. Drawing on his personal skills and experience, the Senior Programme Advisor will help ERRA to put in place, efficient and transparent processes for expediting rehabilitation and reconstruction work.
· Assist ERRA in establishing linkages with the administration at the Federal, Provincial and District levels for smooth and effective implementation of ERRA’s programmes, policies and mandate.
· Assist Deputy Chairman in establishing liaison and rapport with the IFIs, UN Agencies, Donor Community, Civil Society and other Stakeholders for directing a coordinated effort in the rehabilitation and reconstruction process.
· Prepare plans for effective utilization of the technical assistance support by UNDP and provide necessary support for mobilization of the inputs by ensuring production of intended outputs and results.