At the request of the parliamentary authorities of Pakistan, a joint Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU)/UNDP needs assessment mission was carried out in October 2003. Following the mission, a project has been established which seeks to strengthen democracy through parliamentary development by assisting the Parliament in building its capacity to perform its constitutional (legislative, representative and oversight) functions in a more efficient manner. This laid the groundwork for a UNDP supported Project entitled “Strengthening Democracy through Parliamentary Development in Pakistan”. The Project is also supported technically and financially by the IPU under a Memorandum of Understanding with the Parliament of Pakistan.
The Project consists of five major outputs:
(i) Improvement of the organizational structure of the secretariats of both houses;
(ii) Strengthening of legislative functions of the parliament through improved procedures, lawmaking skills and adequate staff support;
(iii) Strengthening of procedures to promote effective oversight and legislative scrutiny by the Senate and National Assemble;
(iv) Improvement of parliamentary information services to provide timely assistance to members, the media and public and
(v) Improvement in the participation of women members in all activities.
To support the implementation of the project, a Project Management Unit (PMU) has been established in Parliament Lodges with necessary human and technical resources in place. For providing technical backstopping and research support to the project in material development and production of resource material for various conferences, seminars, workshops and trainings, it is proposed to engage a full time Research Associate for the project.
Scope of Work
The Research Associate will provide the SDPD PMU with support in the compilation, management and dissemination of information and documentation related to parliament’s functions and roles.
The Research Associate will support the PMU by undertaking the following main activities:
1. Undertakes research tasks such as locating, reviewing and synthesizing technical material related to various outputs of SDPD;
2. Prepares reviews on research, developments and issues;
3. Solicit key data on parliament for SDPD publications, prepare statistical analyses and maintain project progress tracking tools;
4. Prepare correspondence and assist in distribution of information materials
5. Write briefs and prepare graphic material for newsletter and other material;
6. Assist in preparing information materials and tracking modifications for the SDPD website;
7. Assist in the organisation of meetings and the preparation of minutes and short reports.
The Research Associate will report to the National Project Manager (NPM) SDPD.
Primary responsibilities of the Research Associate
1. Research and information
· Undertakes library research, locate technical sources and data and assists in writing articles / handouts / fact sheets, position papers and reviews in subject areas related to the work of SDPD.
· Provides information as requested, sometimes on an urgent basis.
· Assists the NPM in project management and monitoring by tracking reports and status of activities and initiatives.
· Proofreads and assists in editing technical documents, and prepares texts for information and documentation.
· Undertakes searches of data bases, solicits, receives and verifies data on key progress indicators information from Parliament Secretariats, compiles statistical analyses and presents results in tabular, written and graphic form to maintain progress reports and other tools used for tracking progress.
· Obtains, extracts, and compiles information from files, publications, library and other sources, on own initiative or as directed by the NPM to prepare documents for input into issue papers, presentations, briefing papers etc.
· Assists in the preparation of reports and publications by proofreading, literature searches, and verifies citation of references.
· Provides documentation support in preparation for Network’s working group activities.
· Drafts correspondence as requested.
· Provides support in the preparation of reports of meetings, and other documents as requested.
· Compiles, proofreads materials as well as tracks up-dates as inputs to the SDPD website.
· Assists the NPM in organizing workshops, presentations, and other meetings.
· Performs other tasks as requested by the NPM / NPD.
· Demonstrated ability to perform research-related tasks (library research, analysis and synthesis of technical information, including data analysis, writing and editing skills).
· Cultural sensitivity and the ability to develop harmonious working relationships with parliamentarians, secretariat officials and professionals from a variety of disciplines.
· Broad knowledge of Parliament and governance issues
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Ability to work with others as an effective and cooperative member of a team.
· Effective interpersonal skills, tact and discretion: ability to work well with minimal supervision.
· Demonstrated ability to work under pressure when deadlines must be met.
· Familiarity with databases (SQL, MS Access); spreadsheets (advanced user of MS Excel, MS Office, and graphics programs).
English: high written and oral capability.