The Assistance to Governance Reforms and Practices in Balochistan (AGRP-B) project is a key governance initiative of UNDP and the Government of Balochistan, implemented by the Planning and Development Department, GoB. AGRP-B interventions evolve around three main components: Strengthening provincial and LG institutions for effective implementation of devolution and related reforms; improving access to information for effective planning, implementing and monitoring of development activities and establishment of participatory mechanisms for effective community participation. Replication and up scaling of successful pilots such as Participatory Information Systems (PIS), District Management Information Centres (DMICs) and Balochistan Land Records Management Information System (BLRMIS) constitute majors project interventions.
The project strategy envisages the integration of project interventions with other GOB, UNDP and donor assistance to develop synergies and avoid duplication; the adoption of participatory process to ensure that targets groups, including concerned line agencies, local government institutions, elected local representatives, civil society partners and communities are fully involved in the design and implementation of project outputs to ensure ownership and sustainability; the adoption of gender sensitive strategies and actions to address specific gender concerns related to the project areas of intervention; cross-thematic linkages with Millennium Development Goals (MDG) related sectors, particularly concentrating on poverty and gender issues in areas to be addressed under the project; consistency of project outputs with the provincial policies and programs for improving the public services delivery mechanisms and support the achievement of MDGs and the promotion of learning and exchange of experience with similar initiatives in the country.
Duties and Responsibilities
A full time Community Development Specialist (CDS) will assist the Project Manager to manage and implement the Community Empowerment Component of the project in an effective and efficient manner. The CDS will be responsible for ensuring high quality advisory and implementation support to achieve the objectives and outputs of the project in relevance to the Community Empowerment Component. The CDS will work under the supervision of the Project Manager for meeting the objectives of the project.
1. The CDS will be responsible for planning, coordination and implementation of all capacity building activities listed under component of “Community Empowerment” in the Project Document in collaboration with the HRD specialist;
2. The CDS will be responsible for planning, coordination and implementation of all Project activities focusing on community empowerment;
3. The CDS will be responsible for the production of the research studies listed for community empowerment in the project area;
4. The CDS will prepare and implement plans for the capacity of community development department for effectively undertaking its responsibilities under the District Government Rules of Business;
5. The CDS will collaborate with the HRD specialist in developing the training modules for capacity building and operationalization of CCBs in the Project area;
6. The CDS will be the overall responsible for supervising and ensuring the collection and validation of reliable data for PIS;
7. The CDS will provide guidance and support to the Project Manager, the Regional Project Advisors and field teams for effectively implementing the community development component of the Project;
8. The CDS will be responsible for monitoring of field activities related to his/her component;
9. The CDS will prepare and submit regular monitoring/progress reports to the Project Coordinator related to his/her component;
10. The CDS will be responsible for identifying special policy issues related to his/her component for research and analysis for drawing lessons for replication and sustainability of the systems that have been put in place;
11. The CDS will ensure the gradual transfer of the responsibilities that the project staff is undertaking to ensure the sustainability of project activities and a proper exit strategy of each of the main activities related to his/her component. He/She will also prepare and implement the exit strategy for his/her component of the project;
12. Any other work that he may be assigned by the Project Manager.