UNDP Pakistan works closely with the Ministry of Environment to assist in implementing the national environment agenda as well as working towards the objectives of achieving UNDP's corporate goal of environmentally sustainable development to reduce poverty. The Environment Portfolio of UNDP-Pakistan also includes projects that fall in the purview of the Global Environment Facility (GEF). UNDP-supported programmes focus, in an integrated way, on different aspects of the environment: natural resources management, multi-level capacity building for decision-making, mainstreaming environment into the development process, and information dissemination and advocacy. UNDP-Pakistan is also playing a leading role in environmental donors coordination groups and is assisting the Government of Pakistan in building partnerships with the private sector.
The Environment Unit of UNDP-Pakistan requires the services of a young professional to provide support in specific and general tasks related to management of the Environment Programme.
SCOPE OF WORK
Under the supervision of the Environment Unit Chief and in close coordination with the other members of the Unit, the Young Professional will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Provision of specific inputs and support to the Unit Chief in administering and managing the facilitation of NEAP-SP, largely involving extensive coordination with diverse partners.
- Actively liaise with, and foster collaboration with, multilateral and bilateral donor agencies with a view to exploring opportunities for mobilizing co-financing support; assist the Unit Chief in donor coordination activities and donor coordination groups meetings.
- Prepare advocacy material and state-of-the-art presentation material on GEF and environmental activities, and continuous updating of the same from time-to-time. Maintain process and analyze data and information on the environment sector, with specific reference to Pakistan, through extensive use of information technology; document and disseminate best practices; this would involve regular communication with international organizations, donors, civil society partners, other UNDP COs, etc.
- Assist in coordinating the environment unit’s input in the preparation of reports, with specific reference to UNDP’s corporate priorities within the environment theme.
- When required, assist in backstopping other activities of the Unit, and performing any other tasks as assigned by the Supervisor, mainly focused on projects under implementation.