On 8 October, 2005, Pakistan was rocked by an earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale. This earthquake has devastated, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and northern parts of the NWFP. The earthquake has affected more than 5 million people with more than 2.5 million in need of immediate relief support. The Federal and Provincial Governments, Donors, NGOs and UN System rushed relief assistance to the affected areas and relief efforts are still continuing.
To cope with this enormous task of rehabilitation and reconstruction in the disaster affected areas, the Government of Pakistan has established the Earthquake Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Authority (ERRA). In response to the request from the Government of Pakistan, UNDP will support ERRA in carrying out its mandate through programmatic and institutional capacity building and strengthen ERRA’s capacity in programme planning and implementation, through “Technical Assistance for Management of Earthquake Early Recovery” (TAMEER).
ERRA is coordinating contributions for reconstruction and rehabilitation from a large number of institutional and individual donors and sponsors including UN agencies, international NGOs, national NGOs and philanthropists. At ERRA level this task is undertaken by Donors and Sponsors Cell. A dedicated coordinator is also required at the AJK and NWFP level to provide the required linkage between ERRA, SERRA, PERRA and DRUs in facilitating the donors and sponsors.
2. Terms of Reference
Under the overall supervision of Provincial/ State Planning Expert, the Donor/NGO Coordinator would perform the following tasks.
· Act as a focal person and assist PERRA/SERRA in its interaction with donors and sponsors who are funding various facilities in earthquake affected areas
· Guide and monitor the work of District Donors & Sponsors Coordinators
· Examine the proposals submitted by donors/sponsors and advise ERRA D&SCC on their appropriateness and assist donors and sponsors in meeting all ERRA requirements/guidelines
· Facilitate and guide the donors in selection of projects, submission of requests for NOCs and MOUs and their early clearance
· Assist in handing over of sites to the donors and sponsors;
· Monitor the progress on projects funded by donors and sponsors, assist in removing any impediments and collate progress reports furnished by District Coordinators ensue their timely submission to ERRA D&SCC.
The positions need to be filled immediately and the successful candidates should be able to join immediately.