The reconstruction of the approximately 400,000 destroyed or seriously damaged housing will be supported through a compensation package that will provide Rs 175,000 to completely destroyed houses and Rs 75,000 to partially damaged/retrofittable houses. The Government policy is that households should be responsible for re-constructing their houses and that such reconstruction be owner driven. The reconstruction process is recognized as an opportunity to “build back better” by incorporating basic earthquake resistant construction techniques and materials in all new or retrofitted housing.
In order to achieve the objective of rebuilding earthquake resistant housing and given strongly engrained tradi-tional building practices, there is an urgent need to ensure that all stakeholders be fully aware of how best to rebuild; to ensure that training is available to all concerned; and that technical advice is on hand for both the authorities (at all levels) and those directly engaged in reconstruction.
In this context, under the umbrella of the Earthquake Reconstruction & Rehabilitation Agency (ERRA), 12 Housing Reconstruction Centers (HRCs) have been established in Pakistan AK and NWFP. These resource cen-tres provide training, technical assistance, information and awareness, monitoring, and coordination services to Partner Organizations, government authorities, artisans, and the general public in support of earthquake-resistant rural housing reconstruction.
The Information Technology (IT) Officer will support UN-Habitat with all duties relevant to the maintenance and operation of an IT/IS Department. The IT Officer will assist in maintaining an efficient and well-organized LAN/WAN that will effectively support the UN-Habitat’s strategic requirements. This position will work coop-eratively with the UN-Habitat’s community and 3rd parties to identify issues, make improvements and maintain the operational network. The IT Officer should be a critical and strategic thinker who will initiate and complete IT/IS related projects under the supervision of Senior MIS Officer.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior MIS Officer the incumbent will assume the following responsibilities:
1. Server Hardware & Software – Support, maintain and administrate server hardware and software systems. Provide input in procurement of hardware and software keeping economies of scale and new trends/technologies in the mind
2. Documentation – Assistance with the creation, format and maintenance of network and information-systems documentation.
3. Network Security – Pro-actively administrate the security of server systems, messaging, mail server, firewalls and hosted systems against any kind of threats which can destroy the data
4. Operational Project Planning and Implementation – Increase effectiveness and efficiency of the pro-duction network by designing and implementing IT related projects
5. Disaster Recovery – Maintenance and organization of disaster recovery preparedness for systems and critical data relate to database and mapping solutions
6. Monitoring & Logging – Review and maintain network logging and monitoring (i.e. server perform-ance monitors)
7. Information and research gathering – stay current with technology changes, applicable systems, in-dustry trends and developments especially in Networking Infrastructure and new wireless networking trends coupled with third party power tools to optimize the performance of remote access
8. Training and Facilitation – Transfer of necessary knowledge to the UN-Habitat IT/IS personnel to increase the broader understanding of Information Technologies potential
9. Handling all Internet connectivity issues with ISP to provide 24*7*365 hours internet access and availability to UN-Habitat staff and community
10. Help Desk Support for the field staff to resolve any technical issues under the supervision and guid-ance of MIS Unit
11. Demonstrated ability to plan and administer the deployment of software products in a heterogeneous environment with an objective for standardization of all software and hardware which can provide the best solutions to streamline the internal operations of UN-Habitat
12. Proven ability to work in a high pressure environment with multiple tasks, changing priorities, and changing resources
13. Responsibilities include travel to PaK area (Azad Jammu Kashmir Area) as needed and required to provide technical support to all the staff in the field
14. High exposure to Microsoft Windows (XP Pro, 2000/2003 Server), Intel based desktops, laptops
hardware and computer peripherals like printers, plotters and photo copiers
15. Willingness to learn new technologies and enhance the knowledge base of UN-Habitat community
16. All additional technical or non-technical responsibilities and duties assigned by Senior Management of UN-Habitat within IT/IS domains.
Please note that applications received after the closing date stated above, will not be given consideration. Only short-listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted for test and interview.
In line with UN-HABITAT policy on gender equity, applications from female candidates will be particularly welcome.