Objectives of this project are reducing human health and environmental risks by enhancing management capacities and disposal of POPs in Pakistan through:
i) the development and implementation of a regulatory, policy and enforcement system to reduce POPs releases and to regulate POPs waste disposal;
ii) capacity building to reduce exposure to and releases of POPs;
iii) collection, transport and disposal of 300t of PCB and 1200t of POPS Pesticides.
The elimination of POPs pesticide stockpiles became even more urgent after the 2010 floods which damaged some of the storage sites of hazardous chemicals and pesticides. To ensure environmentally sound disposal of POPs, a facility to be upgraded, tested and permitted in compliance with Stockholm Convention BAT/BEP. As an alternative, the project will however keep open the option of shipment of POPs waste abroad for disposal, in compliance with the Basel Convention, if at an early stage it will result evident that the POPs cannot be disposed of using the technologies available in the country.
Solid 5 years of experience of budgeting, planning and reporting on foreign funded projects; and experience with international auditing requirements; Good secretarial skills and good organizational capacity; Knowledge in administrative and accounting procedures of the Government; Good computer skills in common word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (MS Excel), and accounting software; Appropriate English language skills, both spoken and written.
Duties and Responsibilities:-
This Admin & Finance Officer Position has two roles: as an Administrative Officer and as an Finance Officer with the following duties:
a. As a Administrative Officer:
1. Provide assistance in the operational management of the project according to the project document and the NEX procedures.
2. Undertake all preparation work for procurement of office equipment, stationeries and support facilities as required;
3. Provide support in preparing project events, including workshops, meetings (monthly, quarterly and annual), study tours, trainings, etc., as required.
4. Take care of project telephone, fax, and email system;
5. Assist with preparation of TORs and contracts for consultants for project activities.
b. As a Finance Officer:
1. Prepare quarterly advance requests to get advance funds from UNDP in the format applicable.
2. Assist the PC and NPD in project budget monitoring and project budget revision.
3. Set up accounting system, including reporting forms and filling system for the project, in accordance with the project document and the NEX procedures;
4. Maintain petty cash transactions. This includes writing of receipts, preparation of payment request form, receipt and disbursement of cash and clearance of advances;
5. Prepare cheques and withdraw money from the bank;
6. Prepare project financial reports and submit to PC and NPD for clearance and furnish to UNDP as required;
7. Enter financial transactions into the computerised accounting system;
8. Reconcile all balance sheet accounts and keep a file of all completed reconciliation;
9. Check and ensure that all expenditures of projects are in accordance with NEX procedures. This includes ensuring receipts to be obtained for all payments;
10. Check budget lines to ensure that all transactions are booked to the correct budget lines;
11. Ensure documentation relating to payments are duly approved by the NPD;
12. Bring any actual or potential problems to the attention of the NPD;
13. Follow up bank transfers. This includes preparing the bank transfer requests, submitting them to the bank and keeping track of the transfers;
14. Ensure Petty Cash to be reviewed and updated ensuring that there is up-to-date records;
15. To continuously improve system & procedures to enhance internal controls to satisfy audit requirements.
16. Ensure that bank statements be collected from the banks on the 2nd working day of each month;
17. Ensure that bank accounts should be reconciled and reported on or before 3rd of each month;
18. Prepare monthly bank reconciliation statement, including computation of interests gained to be included into reports.
19. Maintain the inventory file to support purchases of all equipment/assets.
20. Undertake other relevant matters assigned by the NPD.
Master's Degree in Bussines Administration, Finance, accounting or any other related field.