Objectives of this project are reducing human health and environmental risks by enhancing management capacities and disposal of POPs in Pakistan through:
i) the development and implementation of a regulatory, policy and enforcement system to reduce POPs releases and to regulate POPs waste disposal;
ii) capacity building to reduce exposure to and releases of POPs;
iii) collection, transport and disposal of 300t of PCB and 1200t of POPS Pesticides.
The elimination of POPs pesticide stockpiles became even more urgent after the 2010 floods which damaged some of the storage sites of hazardous chemicals and pesticides. To ensure environmentally sound disposal of POPs, a facility to be upgraded, tested and permitted in compliance with Stockholm Convention BAT/BEP. As an alternative, the project will however keep open the option of shipment of POPs waste abroad for disposal, in compliance with the Basel Convention, if at an early stage it will result evident that the POPs cannot be disposed of using the technologies available in the country.
Knowledge of Result-based management and at least 7 years of experience in project management and implementation; Strong analytical skills, good inter-personal and team building skills – Leading skills; Full time availability for project management duties; Working level of English language is an absolute necessity; Familiarity with technical assistance projects and UNDP programme in Pakistan is an asset.
Duties and Responsibilities
Overall, the NPM will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the project, including overall coordination, planning, management, implementation, monitoring & evaluation and reporting of all project activities:
1. Prepare and update project work plans, and submits these to the NPD and UNDP for clearance.
2. Participate in quarterly work planning and progress reporting meetings with the NPD, PMU, and UNDP;
3. Ensure that all agreements with implementing agencies are prepared, negotiated and agreed upon.
4. Prepare TORs for key inputs (i.e. personnel, sub-contracts, training, and procurement) and submits these to the NPD and UNDP for clearance, and administers the mobilization of such inputs.
5. With respect to external project implementing agencies/ sub-contractors:
a. Ensuring that these agencies mobilize and deliver the inputs in accordance with their letters of agreement or contracts, and
b. Providing overall supervision and/or coordination of their work to ensure the production of the expected outputs.
6. Assume direct responsibility for managing the project budget by ensuring that:
a. Project funds are made available when needed, and are disbursed properly,
b. Expenditures are in accordance with the project document and/or existing project work plan,
c. Accounting records and supporting documents are properly kept,
d. Required financial reports are prepared,
e. Financial operations are transparent and financial procedures/regulations for NEX projects are properly applied; and
f. He / She is ready to stand up to audits at any time.
7. Assume direct responsibility for managing the physical resources (e.g. vehicles, office equipment, and furniture) provided to the project by UNDP.
8. Supervise the project staff and local or international short-term experts/consultants working for the project.
9. Prepare project progress reports of various types and the Final Project Report as scheduled, and organizes review meetings and evaluation missions in coordination with UNDP.
10.Report regularly to and keeps the NPD and UNDP PO up-to-date on project progress and problems.
Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Social Sciences, (preferably in environment management, chemicals or related fields).