TERMS OF REFERENCE
INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT: Preparing and implementing training plan for community based organization
The Government of Balochistan (GOB) and UNDP are currently partnering on a joint initiative, titled Area Development Programme Balochistan phase II, to improve the livelihoods of rural poor in Balochistan. It was an up-scaled phase of a pilot initiative which was implemented through 1999-2005. The current phase of Area Development Programme Balochistan (ADPB II) commenced in July 2006 and currently scheduled to conclude in December 2013. ADPB, is a community driven area development project funded by UNDP, Government of Balochistan (GOB), WFP and local communities. While addressing the needs of early recovery of flood damages in existing project area, ADPB was supported with financial assistance by AusAID during 2011. The Project is being implemented by Planning and Development Department of Government of Balochistan.
The objective of the project is to contribute to poverty reduction in the project target union councils through community based interventions to improve crop and livestock productivity, conserve natural resources, improve communities ‘ access to market and services, support income generation activities, and strengthen women’s role in development. The project’s target area includes the selected union councils 9 district of Balochistan including Musakhail, Loralai, Qila Saifullah, Ziarat, Pishin, Quetta, Mastung, Kalat and Khuzdar.
As the project is closing on 31st December 2013, the project intends to develop the capacity of community based apex organizations to provide an institutional platform for the continuation of the project interventions beyond project life.
SCOPE OF WORK
- Facilitate discussions among the project staff and management to assess the feasibility of different options / models and to develop consensus on the potential model and the way forward to implement the same;
- Undertake dialogues, at least 20, at the selected locations to introduce the objectives of the cluster organizations and to find out the demand in the community organizations to cluster into apex bodies;
- Based on the dialogues and interest, prepare a comprehensive plan to form the cluster organizations. The plan should have clear milestones, timelines and implementation methodologies;
- Undertake a review of the existing similar models to assess its replica ability and to draw lessons learnt;
- Develop training curriculum and its implementation for the cluster organizations; and
- Prepare a business plan for the cluster organization which will include guidance on how the cluster organization be registered, its roles and responsibilities, how should it be networked, how should it mobilize resources etc.
There are three deliverables expected from this assignment. These include:
- The capacity assessment and preparation of a training plan / module with 3-5 days duration, for at least 15 cluster / union council based organizations;
- The implementation of training plan including the development of training curriculum; and
- Developing business plan for the selected 15 cluster /union council based organizations to ensure their sustainability.
The consultancy will cover two months (60 working days) from the date of signing of the contract, preferably by 15 July 2013.
The consultant will work closely with the National Project Manager (NPM), ADPB-II. All reports will be submitted to NPM-ADPB on dates as may be agreed during the inception meeting. The reports will be reviewed by all concerned stakeholders e.g. GoB and UNDP. All draft reports (written in English) will be submitted as soft copies while the final report will be submitted as a soft copy and four (4) hard copies with colored figures and pictures where necessary.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- At least master degree in social sciences with 7-10 years experience in development sector.
- Hands on experience in preparing training curricula for community based organizations and must have demonstrated capacity as trainer.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and delivering training plans for the capacity building of community based organizations.
- Experience in preparing project exit strategies for community based projects will be an added advantage.