The Strengthening Poverty Reduction Strategy Monitoring (SPRSM) Cell (Balochistan) in the Planning and Development Department underpins the government's institutional mechanism for poverty monitoring. The PRS Cell has been mandated with the overall lead in coordinating, monitoring, evaluating, and tracking the implementation of the PRSP-II; and reporting progress on pro poor public expenditures, intermediate social indicators, and final outcomes. A critical input in achieving the targets set out in the PRSP is the effective utilization of pro poor public expenditures.
The purpose of the SPRSM project is to strengthen institutional capacities for results-based monitoring and evaluation of poverty reduction strategies (PRS) and has the following three outputs:
1. Public spending and allocations in pro-poor sectors analyzed reviewed through a gender lens to better understand the contribution and needs of men and women.
2. Quality, collection, analysis and management of PRSP data improved at national and province levels.
3. Provincial engagement in PRSP monitoring mobilized through participatory processes.
Gender Aware Beneficiary Assessment (GABA) is primarily identified with the concept of Gender Responsive Budgets (GRB), as a tool for mapping perceptions of actual and potential beneficiaries of public services on how public spending meets their needs. The concept of GRB is about ensuring that government budgets and the policies and programs that underlie them address the needs and interests of individuals that belong to different social groups. Thus, it looks at biases that can arise because a person is male or female. At the same time, it also considers disadvantages suffered because of ethnicity, caste, class or poverty status, location and age. GRB is not about separate budgets for women or men nor about budgets divided equally. It is about determining where the needs of men and women are the same, and where they differ. Where the needs are different, allocations should be different. Based on budget analysis from a gender perspective using a set of expenditure and revenue tools, adjustments may be made to policies, programs, budgets and implementation to achieve outcomes that are more equitable.
Education is the most prioritized sector of government of Balochistan. Based on the importance, need and contribution of Education sector in Balochistan the SPRSM-Balochistan intends to conduct the Gender Aware Beneficiary Assessment (GABA) in Education Sector.
Gender Aware Beneficiary Assessment (GABA) in Education sector aims at analyzing sector programs funded through the budget (Government and Donors), and enquires whether the programs are reaching to those for whose benefit it has been intended. The assessment involves primary field based research. The investigation should utilize both quantitative (e.g. survey) and qualitative (e.g. focus group discussions and participatory rural appraisal) methods. It should cover both intended and unintended beneficiaries and those who are eligible for services but are not accessing them.
The beneficiary assessment will inform both districts level work in particular, but could also inform SPRSMP work at the provincial level. The assessment will raise awareness among government officials and people living in the sample districts.
The report on the beneficiary assessment should include findings, conclusions, and recommendations as to how such assessment (s) could be institutionalized and conducted on regular basis by government as part of their regular surveys by Bureau of Statistics Balochistan (BSB) such as PSLM and BEMIS. The research should be designed with this aim in mind so that at least some parts of the method are amenable to institutionalize as part of the ongoing monitoring and evaluation system.
The main objective is to analyze issues of accessibility, the manner and degree of utilization, and satisfaction of actual and potential beneficiaries of education services from a gender perspective. The ultimate goal is to inform the budgetary processes so that spending on education addresses the needs of boys and girls, men and women equitably. The focus of assessment rests on the key education services provided by the federal, provincial, and district governments.
The following are the main objectives of the assessment:
· Identify key education services delivered by Federal, provincial and district governments as well as the private sector;
· Collect and analyze information about accessibility, manner and degree of utilization, and satisfaction of actual and potential beneficiaries of education services from a gender perspective;
· Make recommendations as to how such assessments could be institutionalized and conducted on a regular basis by government
This will be a desktop study with mixture of primary data collection in some selected areas of Balochistan as a sample and secondary data and research. The consultant will use the qualitative research methods such as focus group discussions, meetings with key informant and relevant government officers at district and provincial level and quantitative methods using PSLM, BEMIS and other relevant available data sources.
Responsibilities & Scope of Work:
· The short-listed consulting firm/organization mandated to carry out beneficiary assessment shall also be responsible for the following activities:-
· To establish what are the key services delivered by provincial and local/district government, if any, in the sector of Education in the pilot districts. This can be done through interviews with relevant officials and sector experts and through documentary review.
· To design and conduct a service-focused gender aware beneficiary assessment based on a suitable sample district (s) to provide representative data at Tehsil level, each of which gathers the opinions and experiences of beneficiaries of a particular sector. These services should be selected from those identified in the first step described above.
· To select and conduct training for the field staff and teams.
· To generate both quantitative (for example Citizen Report Cards, through the administration of closed-ended exit interviews to beneficiaries) and qualitative (for example, Gendered Community Scorecard through focus groups with beneficiaries) Information. The assessment should be designed in such a way as to cover all relevant sub-groups of beneficiaries' e.g. male and female, young and old. Focus group and similar methods should be conducted separately for groups such as male and female, young and old to ensure that different views are freely expressed and differences in group experiences recorded. The investigation should also include questions on the monetary, time and other costs incurred by beneficiaries in accessing the services.
· To design and implement a general assessment which gathers information on the profile, opinions and experiences of a representative sample of women and men living in the pilot district (s). This assessment should include questions, which determine the demographic profile of all respondents, the necessary information to determine whether they are eligible for specific services in the target sector, whether they have accessed these services, experiences if they have accessed these services, and reasons for not accessing particular services if they have no accessed them.
· Submission of outline of proposed methodology and timeline
· Submission of proposed services to be covered in the service-focused assessments.
· Provision of comments by SPRSMP team.
· Submission of draft instruments for the service-focused and general assessments in the form of questionnaires, focus group guidelines, etc, as well as planned sampling method for each sub-investigation.
· Provision of comments by SPRSMP team.
· Submission of draft final report.
Duration of Study:
The total duration of the assignment will be 45 working days, spanned over a period of 60 days after the issuance of the contract.
The consultant will be based in Quetta and travel to selected district of Balochistan, if required.
Qualification and Experience:
· Minimum of a Master in Education, Social Sciences, Gender or relevant discipline
· A proven track record of five years in producing quality research reports
· Five years Extensive knowledge of research methods and statistical analysis.
The consultant will report directly to the Provincial Project Director and Provincial Project Manager of SPRSM project Balochistan at Quetta.
· On submission of Outline of the Study and Work Plan - 20%
· On submission and approval of the first draft - 40 %
· On submission and acceptance of the final report - 40%
“Equally qualified women will be given preference.”