The Planning Commission has developed a new Framework for Economic Growth (FEG) which has been approved by the Prime Minister of Pakistan in the National Economic Council meeting held on 28 May 2011. The FEG reorients the focus of the Government from being an “implementer and service provider” to a “facilitator’ and a “watch dog” to promote competition, innovation and entrepreneurship. At this juncture, a strong need is felt to reorient the Centre for Poverty Reduction and Social Policy Development (CPRSPD) towards working on sustained economic growth and inclusive development. Planning Commission and the UNDP have been working on transforming the existing CPRSPD into an Inclusive Growth Centre (IGC). The proposed IGC will be a hub of Research, Advocacy, Consultations to implement and monitor the FEG at the national and sub national level and to support human development and the attainment of MDGs.
The FEG is being developed for the 10th Five Year Plan of the Planning Commission. The themes of the strategy include competitive markets, innovation, governance, creative cities, productivity, connectivity and youth and community. The purpose of the post is to support the Planning Commission to map out reform measures which will help towards increasing the degree of interactivity within the country. It would entail providing assistance to study the key issues confronting the development of physical infrastructure of the public transport sector in Pakistan.
Duties and Responsibilities
The research assistant will provide support towards developing a research paper on ‘Reforming the Public Transport Sector’, for the Planning Commission under the guidance of their respective component managers, concentrating on the issues and implementation strategies in line with the FEG.
- Assist in consultations with relevant stake holders
- Provide research assistance on physical connectivity with specific focus on the public transport network
- Assist with evaluating the current state of public transport in Pakistan (public and commercial)
- Assist in identifying areas of reform, including the integration of various modes of transport (road and rail)
- Providing research support towards a comparison of the state of public transport with respect to comparators in the region as well as global best practices in developed nations.
- Assist in the analysis of regulatory environment, existing policies and policy recommendations relating to the above mentioned areas.
Contract duration: Two months