UNDP support to the Planning Commission was initiated in February 2002 with the creation of the Centre for Research on Poverty Reduction and Income Distribution (CRPRID) as a dedicated research facility in the Planning Commission. The work of CRPRID primarily focused on poverty measurement, research and analysis of public policies on poverty, progress monitoring of MDGs, and provision of policy inputs to the Government of Pakistan (GOP). This coincided with the support by the World Bank and DFID to support the Planning Commission in the development of its Social Protection Strategy through the Poverty Centre.
In June 2007 the Planning Commission decided to expand the CRPRID’s scope of work and structure to include a social policy planning focus in addition to a poverty measurement and research focus and the monitoring of MDGs. As a result, the Centre was renamed the Centre for Poverty Reduction and Social Policy Development (CPRSPD). Planning Commission and UNDP entered into a cost sharing agreement to collectively support the CPRSPD to transition from a project to a competitive and well networked poverty research institution.
More recently Planning Commission has come up with the idea of New Growth Framework with a focus on Inclusive Growth. The New Growth Framework (NGF) of the Government of Pakistan has been approved by the Prime Minister of Pakistan in the National Economic Council meeting held on 28 May 2011. The NGF reorients the focus of the Government from being an “implementer and service provider” to a “facilitator’ and a “watch dog” to promote competition, innovation and entrepreneurship. At this juncture, a strong need is felt to reorient the Centre for Poverty Reduction and Social Policy Development (CPRSPD) towards working on sustained economic growth and inclusive development. Planning Commission and the UNDP have been working on transforming the existing CPRSPD into an Inclusive Growth Centre (IGC). The proposed IGC will be a hub of Research, Advocacy, Consultations to implement and monitor the NGF at the national and sub national level and to support human development and the attainment of MDGs.
The New Growth Strategy is being developed for the 10th Five Year Plan of the Planning Commission. The themes of the strategy include competitive markets, innovation, governance, creative cities, productivity and youth and community. The purpose of the proposed consultancy is to support the Planning Commission to map out the implementation strategies to promote economic growth through the themes outlined in the New Growth Strategy with specific focus on the Result Based Management/governance.
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant shall focus on the following key areas:
· Develop country and sector-level policy and strategies for governance issues in the New Growth Strategy.
· Prepare analytical work relevant for the New Growth Framework on public sector reform and governance.
· Provide advice and support to Deputy Chairman (Minister of State) and National Institutional Advisor on multi-sector operations involving public management/governance challenges.
· Generate, apply, and exchange thematic knowledge relating to concepts, techniques, and lessons of experience pertaining to governance, public sector reform, and capacity building.
· Develop the Governance and Institutional Reform chapter for the 10th Five Year Plan for Pakistan.
· Support the Planning Commission with substantive technical input on various knowledge products and facilitate participation in discussions, conferences and meetings with development partners, private sector agencies and government on the issue of local governance and local level institutions
· Promoting the New Growth Strategy through:
- Giving presentations and holding consultative seminars at various universities and organizations on the governance theme of the New Growth Strategy
- Writing articles for newspapers on different aspects of the strategy
- Working with the team to prepare presentations for the Deputy Chairman for various seminars and conferences
Experience: Minimum experience 2-5 years research/consultancy experience with reputable organization.