The One UN Joint programme component 1 on Disaster Risk Management (DRM) is assisting the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) by strengthening the foundations of a disaster risk management systemin Pakistan through its four significant outcomes.
National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has designated 29 most vulnerable districts for establishment of model District Disaster Management Authorities (DDMAs) under the One UN DRM Programme. The selected districts will be facilitated in strengthening the existing system in utilizing the available resources. The selected districts will be assisted in areas of hazard mapping, establishing viable early warning systems and community involvement for effective disaster risk management. NDMA intends to support communities in order to enhance their coping strategies towards disasters. The focus remains on communities at local level and in particular women children and elderly at village level to alleviate their suffering arising from various types of disasters. Community Based Disaster Management will be integrated in participatory development process.
District Disaster Risk Management Coordinators (DDRMC) will be based in the District Headquarters and report to the District Coordination Officer (DCO), Director General PDMA, Provincial Disaster Risk Management Coordinator (PDRMC), the Community and Local Level Programming Expert and UNDP under the One UN DRM. The DDRMC will discharge the below given duties and responsibilities under the directions of the DCO who will write his/her bi-annual Performance Evaluation Report, which will be countersigned by PDRMC with second counter-signature by DG PDMA.
3. Duties and Responsibilities
Functioning of the district disaster management authorities:
· Will assist the DCO office to make the District Disaster Management Authority/unit functional, and facilitate coordination with various departments and stakeholders.
· Work in DCO office in developing an annual work plan and budget for the DDMA.
· Work in DCO office for development and preparation of PC-1 for budget allocations to DDMA.
· Assist District Government in pooling resources for establishment of Emergency Operation Center.
Mainstreaming DRR and capacity building on DRR
· Ensure that PC-1s in preparation are sensitized with DRM components.
· Support in establishing DDMAs office along with the appointment of some designated staff.
· Establish district DRM coordination forum involving various departments, I/NGOs and other stakeholders.
· Manage the district level trainings for government authorities and communities on DRM.
· Conduct HVCA exercises using different research techniques and develop when needed.
· Carry out drills, awareness raising, CBDRM and other planned activities under the One UN DRM programme.
· Conduct trainings on rapid needs assessment and ensure collection of data for databases to facilitate decision making and planning
Early recovery and community restoration cluster support:
· Liaison with respective district/provincial/ federal departments as per requirement.
· Coordinate the early recovery efforts in case of a disaster
· Support the community restoration activities at the district level and attend meetings accordingly and send reports providing data and other information from the field.
· Submit project reports to UNDP as per the schedule and ensure that progress and achievements are highlighted against the outcomes and outputs of the approved project document.