Terms of Reference
Job Title: Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling Programme Advisor (Mid-Level International Expert)
Total Position(s): 1
Job Type: SSA
Job Location: Islamabad
Minimum Education: University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent)
Degree Title: Social or Political Science, International Relations, Law or other relevant degree
Minimum Experience: 5 years
Career Level: Mid-Level
Work Permit: Pakistan (if needed to be arranged by organizational unit)
Organizational Unit: UNODC
Duration: 4 months
Apply By: July 18, 2011
Posted On: July 5, 2011
The UNODC Country Office for Pakistan (COPAK) is tasked with assisting Pakistan through its recently developed Country Programme (CP) with a focus on needs related to illicit trafficking and border management, criminal justice and drug demand reduction and HIV. Within Sub-programme 1 of the CP, UNODC Pakistan is charged with developing the capacity of the Government of Pakistan (GOP) to identify and act upon cases of migrant smuggling and human trafficking. In order to properly fulfil this role, COPAK requires the services of an international consultant with experience in the area of human trafficking and migrant smuggling and related issues.
The objective of the consultancy is to support the implementation of Outcome 2 “Human trafficking and migrant smuggling operations identified and acted upon” of COPAK’s CP. Specifically, the international consultant will assist COPAK in collecting baseline data on human trafficking and migrant smuggling in Pakistan, producing two reports: the first focusing on human trafficking and the second on migrant smuggling. In these reports, focus will be on current and emerging trends in these areas as well as how these trends manifest themselves on the provincial, national and regional levels. Based upon these reports, COPAK should be better able to develop and shape its programme of assistance under Outcome 2 of its CP to enhance the capacity of relevant GOP ministries and agencies in line with international best practice.
Under the strategic guidance and supervision of the Law Enforcement Advisor (Representative until Advisor is posted) and with the technical support from staff, the consultant will be responsible for collecting baseline information on human trafficking and migrant smuggling trends in Pakistan.
The Programme Advisor will undertake the following substantive duties and responsibilities:
1. Collect most recent data on human trafficking and migrant smuggling cases in Pakistan.
2. Consultations with relevant officials of the GOP.
3. Analyze data on human trafficking and migrant smuggling cases in Pakistan, focusing on current and emerging trends as well as how these trends are linked at the provincial, national and regional levels.
4. Present data on current trends in the areas of human trafficking and migrant smuggling in Pakistan to relevant government officials.
- Draft baseline research report framework for human trafficking.
- Baseline research report outlining current and emerging trends in the area of human trafficking, placing these trends into a provincial, national and regional context.
- PowerPoint to accompany baseline research report.
- Draft baseline research report framework for migrant smuggling.
- Baseline research report outlining current and emerging trends in the area of migrant smuggling, placing these trends into a provincial, national and regional context.
- PowerPoint to accompany baseline research report.
- Conduct two workshops for relevant Pakistani government officials to present both reports.
Qualification and Experience
· An international professional, holding a university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Social or Political Science, International Relations, Law or other relevant degree, plus approximately 5 years of experience relating to immigration trends. Working experience in a developing country is an asset.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
· Ability to work under pressure and to meet tight deadlines.
Completion of the related report will require document review and regular interaction (as appropriate) with relevant points of contacts from concerned ministries and agencies and international partners. Relevant supporting documents will be made available to COPAK as required. In addition, the Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling Programme Advisor will liaise closely with UNODC. The structure of the reports and legislative drafts to be completed by the Advisor will be agreed with COPAK prior to starting.
Planning and Implementation Arrangements
The Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling Programme Advisor will be based in Islamabad, and work closely with the Country Representative and UNODC Pakistan colleagues. The Country Representative will support and guide the work of the Advisor.
The Advisor will have documents approved by the Representative prior to release.
Payment Schedule and Rate
The Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling Programme Advisor (Mid-Level International Expert)will be issued a consultancy contract in accordance with United Nations rules and procedures. Payment scale will be determined by UNDP recommended rates for expert consultants at the ‘B’ level. Travel costs including transportation and DSA for domestic and international travel will be paid by UNODC in accordance with United Nations rules and procedures.
Documents Required for Application Submission
Interested candidates are requested to submit a technical and financial proposal with the application.
The technical proposal should include the following details:
1. Cover letter explaining interest for the position.
2. Detailed P-11 form.
3. Proposed methodology and work plan for the above-stated deliverables.
The financial proposal should indicate the lump sum amount/fee for the entire set of consultancy services.
Kindly send your technical and financial proposals on firstname.lastname@example.org