Ministry of Environment is implementing Phase-I of the UNDP-GEF & GoP funded project on “Sustainable Land Management to combat Desertification in Pakistan”. The overall goal of the project is to combat land degradation and desertification in Pakistan in order to protect and restore ecosystems and essential ecosystem services that are key to reducing poverty.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Communication Officer will develop and coordinate implementation of project communication and outreach strategy. He/She will work under the National Project Coordinator and will closely collaborate with the Provincial Project Coordinators (PPCs) and other thematic experts for advocacy and awareness raising on combating desertification through sustainable management of land resources.
The specific tasks of the Communication Officer will include:
- Conduct communication needs assessments for the Project;
- Develop & implement communication and outreach strategy focusing on project outcomes, objectives and activities;
- Recommend and oversee the development and implementation of efficient internal project communication protocols;
- Act as Project Communications Focal Person and manage various activities related to outreach and awareness campaign;
- Organize media events such as press conferences, interviews of key Project staff and stakeholders on public & private channels of TV & radio, newspapers, and magazines;
- Coordinate the development of publications – hardcopies, multimedia and/or web-based, and provide quality control in line with the UNDP-GEF standards;
- Ensure that publications like case studies, project updates, occasional papers, brochures, newsletters etc.) are printed, and updated (in case of website) in a timely and consistent manner;
- Review the Project’s website(s) on a regular basis, draft contents, and provide support for website updating and ensure consistency of the material;
- Maintain regular liaison with project partners to develop linkages and provide necessary support accordingly;
- Assist the project team in identifying and documenting case studies and lessons learnt for the Project website, advocacy campaigns and progress reports;
- Undertake field visits to the pilot project sites for documenting success stories and provide support for their publication;
- Write, design and edit project publications/brochures/factsheets/news letter/posters on various topics of SLM for wider dissemination among stakeholders;
- Undertake initiatives for community awareness on project interventions in Urdu and regional languages;
- Assist the project team in organizing conferences, workshops, and seminars;
Assist GIS Specialist/Coordinator SLMIS in managing SLM Information;
- Coordinate with the Project team for dissemination of project publications/awareness material; and
Perform any other duty assigned by the NPD and NPC related to the communication needs of the Project.