Terms of Reference
Job Title: Linguistic Expert Pashto
Total Position(s): 1
Job Location: home-based
Minimum Education: Masters Degree (graduate with experience acceptable)
Minimum Experience: 5 years
Career Level: Mid-level
Organizational Unit: UNODC
Duration: 90 days of work between May and December 2011
Posted On: 22 April 2011
Apply By: 6 May 2011
The UNODC Country Office for Pakistan (COPAK) is tasked with assisting Pakistan through its recently developed Country Programme with a focus on needs related to illicit trafficking and border management, criminal justice and drug demand reduction and HIV.
The programme of activities includes a Computer Based Training (CBT) programme, which supports capacity development in law enforcement agencies in Pakistan to counter criminal activity through computer-based training. The programme comprises 180 hours of computer-based, interactive multimedia instruction, in subjects relevant to the responsibilities of law enforcement officers.
The CBT modules are currently translated into Pashto. To do quality assurance of the first draft of the translated modules, UNODC Pakistan requires the services of a linguistic expert who can proofread and edit Pashto.
The main objective of this assignment is to perform quality assurance of the grammatical aspects of Pashto transcripts of CBT programme, in order for the end product to conform to the pre-determined international standards, as well as to initiate corrective action in concurrence with the translator, regarding any/all translated materials that may require revision due to either misinterpretation of their contextual meaning or use of incorrect grammar.
In view of the aforementioned objective, the expert will be required to provide linguistic and technical assistance to improve the quality of the CBT programme by conducting a quality assurance exercise of the translated screen text and voice-over transcripts of CBT programme into Pashto, as well as the rough cut Pashto version of the CBT Programme.
The consultant is required to perform the following activities and deliver the following outputs:
1. Review both the voice-over and screen text related transcripts translated into Pashto of the CBT Programme;
2. Review the rough cut Pashto version of CBT programme in its entirety;
3. Work in close coordination with CBT translator for timely and simultaneous checking of transcripts; Submit periodic error reports to CBT translator in batches for incorporating proposed revisions/amendments within final version of transcripts and rough cut version of CBT Programme, but only upon prior approval of the same by the project team.
1. A review report outlining linguistic/grammar-related errors of Pashto translated transcripts and rough cut version of the CBT Programme;
2. Recommendations in view of existing timelines to counter identified errors/discrepancies;
3. A final report including final version of Pashto translated (screen text and voice-over) transcripts; the report should also include problems encountered during review and revision of transcripts and steps taken to resolve the same.
Qualifications and Experience
1. Advanced degree in Pashto or languages
2. 5-7 years of professional experience performing similar functions
3. Required functional competencies: creative analytical thinker, strategic planner, active learner, team player
4. Demonstrated drafting skills in a similar function;
5. Previous liaison/negotiation with government agencies/ministries, linguistic/literary institutions and media companies preferred
6. Willing to work in flexible working hours
7. Proficient in Microsoft Office.
8. Language Skills: English, Pashto
Home-based with internet connection.
Planning and Implementation Arrangements
The expert will report to the CBT programme team.
Documents Required for Application Submission
Interested candidates are requested to submit a technical and financial proposal with the application.
The technical proposal should include the following details:
1. Cover letter explaining interest for the position.
2. Detailed P-11 form.
3. Proposed methodology and workplan for the deliverables stated in the Terms of Reference.
The financial proposal should indicate the lump sum amount/fee for the entire set of consultancy services.